Oly vs Pana forum split

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sprocket87, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Um... yes. Stop wasting time on the forums and go take pictures.

24 vote(s)
  2. No! I, too am fascinated by seemingly irrelevant data points!

14 vote(s)
  3. By this logic, the Other Systems forum should have MILLIONS of posts!

3 vote(s)
  4. This is all an elaborate conspiracy manufactured by Olympus to sell cameras.

6 vote(s)
  1. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    So I was catching up on my new unread posts and I realized that it seems that most new topics related to a specific body or system are Olympus oriented. Not all, obviously, but a majority. So I went to the main forum index and looked at the thread counts for each and noticed that Olympus has almost exactly double the number of threads as Panasonic. The total messages are again more than double.

I thought this was really strange for a minute, since I had assumed that Oly and Pana were about split for market share... but then I went and looked up the sales figures and I was wrong. Actually, in 2014 the split was like this:
    • Olympus: 159k ILC units, 8.7% ILC market share
    • Panasonic: 89k ILC units, 4.9% ILC market share
    Note - those figures are from Japan's sales statements, according to ByThom/SansMirror.com. But still, a good representation I would imagine.

So the numbers line up... Oly outsold Panasonic roughly 2:1, and we have a similar split on the boards.

Not that this means anything, it was just kind of neat and somewhat surprising to me. Math! Statistics! Causality! Vocabulary!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think it is interesting that Olympus outsells Panasonic by that much. Looking at the product offerings, I can't really figure out a good reason. Panasonic has equally compelling products and in the earlier days of the system had far better lenses.

It's probably just that the 50 year old history of Olympus brings a lot more built in user base.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    @Amin Sabet@Amin Sabet, the bar graphs aren't rendering for me in FF 36.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    My Panasonic G5 never gave me any problems, so all I did was take pictures leaving me with little time to post in the Panasonic section. Now that I have an Olympus, I find that I post a lot more since problems are common due to the complex menus, settings, and durability issues (in fact I'm sending my EM5 out for a shutter replacement today).

</sarcasm> ;)
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I think that those numbers might be even more telling if you factor out the GH4 sales that are exculsively, or primarily, for video.
  6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    The answer lies here ;
    E-M5MkII is out. New, shiny, discussable ... and that invigourates connected things like Olympus lenses etc etc.

Plus Olympus sells more models with "enough serious features for these forums" than Panasonic.
  7. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Not really. That only answers why my curiosity was piqued. The actual number of posts in each brand's forum has nothing to do with the new EM5II, unless you think there have been roughly 3,000 posts about that particular camera (although it does kinda seem like it) ;)
  8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I thought Panasonic was hard to find in Japan... Might make those sales figures nonrepresentative.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mu-43 mobile app
  9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I prefer Olympus bodies, but I like Panasonic glass more! Anybody here a Panasonic body user who prefers Olympus glass? :D;)
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Statistics geek so I find this interesting.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Our forum software automatically maintains a 2:1 ratio of Oly to Pana posts, making use of bots as necessary.
    • Funny Funny x 16
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    Definitely prefer Olympus bodies. Glass? I'm more agnostic. Just about equally split, Olympus / Panasonic / Sigma.
  14. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    In my experience with camera retail, it's definitely easier to sell Olympus than Panasonic.

Yeah Panasonic has better movie mode and the UI seems to be more consumer friendly initially but there is more consistency with Olympus. The features aswell that Olympus focus on are more generally appealing to still shooters not to mention the JPEG engine out of the box is more appealing.

They all have stabilization, they all have similar IQ, the design of the PENs is consistent. The OM-Ds all have good built-in EVFs and it's easy to explain the key differences. Newbies and pros both want the 3/5 axis IBIS, they want the well sized EVF that's still compact and having flip screens which all the OM-Ds have.

PENs are pretty much OM-Ds without built in EVFs and build quality, PEN Minis are the most basic in cost and features excluding the difference between JPEG engines and such.

The two most popular ILCs out of all the brands that we sell are the E-M10 and the Sony A6000.

I've had people like the GH series but found it too big, the G series but want the GX7 sensor, the GM5 but with a larger EVF. There are no mic inputs in anything except the G and GH.
    Usually gotta explain why the GF6 is cheaper than the GM1 but has a flip screen then I gotta talk about the video and sensor differences which doesn't make the GF6 or the GM1 appealing to them because they want to combine them. The PEN E-PL5 then is a natural choice.

PEN Mini, PEN, OM-D

GF, G, GM, GX, GH.

I think the GF7 should be the base template in design and features for the line up with each higher model adding more features, all with the 12-32mm as the kit lens. Then I think Panasonic would sell better. Along with more marketing!
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I second that. The only Oly lens I have is 45mm. It is a great lens but microcontrast wide open is a far cry from my most used PL25. Also, Panny has the best kit lenses. It amazes me that Panasonic is not even an optical company but offers such great glass. Olympus has never released anything brighter than f1.8 in its entire digital history.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    I wonder how much of Olympus dominance is based on Olympus being seen as a camera company and Panasonic is not. When people tell me they like one of my photos and ask what kind of camera I use, and I tell them a Panasonic, I get a blank stare. Never do they ask me anything else about it. But I am happy with my G5. If someone wants to donate an EM-5 or 10 to me to compare, though, I'd happily give it a fair going over.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Seconding DynaSports post - I think the perception is that Oly is a camera company with a long history in the field. Panasonic is perceived as a consumer-electronics company.

I certainly bought my first digital Pen because my first camera was a film Pen S that took amazing pictures.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. tkbslc

What I think is kind of interesting is that the O-MD line was an instant hit, but Panasonic has been making mini-DSLR bodies since the beginning. I think, again, it goes back to hitting people of a certain age with OM-4 nostalgia. When you see a G5, you just think of a small DSLR and there's not much boyhood nostalgia there.

The retro SLR and rangefinder has been done, maybe they need to make a mini-Rolleiflex clone... :laugh:
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. doug515

doug515 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2014
    Cloverdale California
    It's partially due to distribution networks. I can check out the latest from Olympus at almost any camera store in my area, but I have to travel 90 miles to San Francisco to see the latest from Panasonic. The real curiousity is that Panasonic is distributed through the electronics distribution networks (same with Sony) while Olympus is through the classic photo networks, but even the electronics retailers (Best Buy, etc.) which are far more common than good camera stores don't carry the line. Most non-chain camera stores can't handle the buy-in requirements of the electronics distibutors, whereas the traditional photo distributor buy-in is more reasonable. I would love to be able to handle say a GX-7, a6000, XE-2, and EM-5 side-by-side at one store, but only the biggest stores and chains can afford to buy-in to the Panasonic and Sony product lines.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. tkbslc

I've had an equally difficult time finding an Olympus product on display in Utah.
    • Agree Agree x 1