Oly support for Panasonic aperture rings coming?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdk42, Sep 20, 2016.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Amateur Photographer interviewed Setsuya Kataoka of Olympus at the E-M1ii launch. They asked about aperture rings:

I hope this does come to pass.

Exclusive interview: Setsuya Kataoka of Olympus - Amateur Photographer
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    What Panasonic Lenses have Aperture Rings, there are no aperture rings on any of my Panasonic Lenses, Not that I have therm all though
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

PL12, PL15, PL42.5.
  4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    15mm 1.7, 42.5mm 1.2 first ones that come to mind
  5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I agree, hope they get this working. Along with dual IS working with both brands. Plus lfn button working on pana
  6. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Dual IS across both brands would be huge, really hope to see this.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    They really do have more to gain by working together than not. The stronger the system, the better both companies will do.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Don't hold your breath for cross-brand dual-IS guys, from the same article:

"AW: Olympus and Panasonic now both have dual IS systems using cameras with in-body stabilisation and together with optically stabiliased lenses. Are they cross-compatible as a Micro Four Thirds standard?

SK: Compatibility is guaranteed, in that Olympus and Panasonic lenses will work on bodies from either. But Olympus Sync IS and Panasonic Dual IS are not cross-compatible, as each uses a different algorithm."

If there was any chance of this happening, he would have said something similar to the aperture ring response.

Personally, I use the 42.5/1.2 on an EM1 and if they ever add support for the aperture ring I hope I can turn it off. My camera has a dial for aperture already and none of my other lenses have that ring. I could understand if the ring was part of the original system design like the Fuji lenses but I really don't care for M43, my cameras and lenses are fully functional with or without an aperture ring.
  9. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC

When did hell freeze over?
  10. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    Id love to use the pl15 aperture ring on the pen-f. Instant look at the f number without needing the viewfinder/screen is much under-rated imo.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Good to hear. It's nice to know that they are not only fixing the problem, but are keeping an eye on customer feedback.
  12. shesmu

shesmu Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2013
    I think in diplomatic language that means: 'we currently have no plans on implementing this feature.' :)
  13. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    I was torn on that one when I read it initially. I couldn't decide if that was careful speaking around the issue or maybe English wasn't his first language.

Either way, it seems hard to believe they would make this a priority with so few m43 lenses having aperture rings.
  14. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    Lol, makes me think of the definition of "soon":

Soon: Copyright 2004-2016 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between Blizzard Entertainment and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, Blizzard does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as Blizzard will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."

Replace Blizzard Entertainment with Olympus Imaging and I think it would apply
    • Funny Funny x 1