Oly recon price for M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm f4.8-6.7 II?

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by ScottGee1, Oct 9, 2015.

1. ScottGee1

ScottGee1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2014
    Not sure which forum to use for this question . . . since this one deals with deals, here 'tis.

I've checked Oly's recon lens page (U.S.) periodically for M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm f4.8-6.7 II but haven't seen one recently.

For how much do these normally sell there? Perhaps the better question is, when this lens is available for less than the normal price, approximately what is that? And doesn't Oly usually have an annual pre-holiday sale that knocks a fixed percentage off?

As to used copies on eeekbay, other than an outlier that sold for $235 shipped, the average price is ~$350.

$550 new is consistent from the usual, authorized dealers.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The lowest I've seen the Oly 75-300mm II new was on Amazon for $328 Prime shipped for a grey import (no warranty). The lowest refurb price I've seen at the Olympus outlet was around $350 + 20% coupon after tax (9% CA tax).

So if you don't mind having little to no warranty, the $300-350 mark is what you should be aiming for!
  3. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    I bought a new one during the Olympus sale in July for $449. I am new to the whole micro 4/3rds world, but it appears that Olympus runs these promotions on regular basis (every summer in the US?).
  4. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I think the usual refurb price is $350 to $399. I got mine for $399. Obviously with a 20% coupon you can do better, but it is extremely difficult to purchase refurb lenses with coupons as typically all the desirable lenses go out of stock in minutes.

The new prices for the 75-300 often drop close to the refurb prices during sales or with rebates when combined with a body purchase.

One thing to be aware of with Olympus refurbs is that you can add on a 4 year warranty to a refurb lens for $79 (which will give the refurb a warranty longer than an new lens). You don't need to purchase the warranty with the lens, you just need to purchase it within 90 days of the lens purchase. So you can try out the refurb within the 30 day return period and if you decide to keep it then spend the money on the 4 yr warranty. So if warranties are important to you it is worth considering that and factoring it into the price when comparing to new lenses.

The 75-300 is a hard call as to whether it is worth doing via refurb, when I bought mine awhile back the new prices were higher and so the refurb was noticeable savings. These days you might just wait for a sale on a new one.
  5. ScottGee1

ScottGee1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2014
    Thanks, Jonathan F/2, SVQuant and kwalsh for your very helpful advice.

The warranty question is definitely worth asking. Service rates have risen dramatically over the years so we have to decide whether to gamble on reliability. :cautious:

In my immediate situation, a dealer is offering a relatively clean lens for $300 with the option to add a Mack 2 year warranty for $30. Based on what you-all have said, that appears to be reasonable.
  6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    For the record, this isn't the correct place for this. It should have been in the Native Lenses section.

This subforum is to make others aware of good prices on equipment that you have found, so that the rest of the community is aware that they can increase their gear stable for under MSRP. That's why its title is "Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here." You didn't really find OR share a deal.
  7. ScottGee1

ScottGee1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2014
    shnitz, thanks for the clarification. I actually looked at that forum but the majority of posts are about performance of lenses so I ended up here.

Seems my question falls into a 'grey area'.