1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly & Panny compatibility

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dornblaser, Aug 13, 2012.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Greetings,

I have Oly Pens and an OMD with a number of Oly lenses. I am interested in purchasing a Panny GH3 when it is released specifically for video. I was interested in learning if there are issues switching Oly and Panny lenses between the two bodies?

Thanks

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Nope.

The only issue you will hear brought up from time to time is that only Panasonic corrects for CA in their bodies. In my experience this is a non-issue because LR4 does a fabulous job of cleaning up CA where it exists, which isn't all that frequently anyway.

The other thing you might keep in mind is that to my knowledge only Panasonic bodies can turn on or off the IS present in some Panasonic lenses--unless it's controlled by a switch on the lens itself, like it is with the 14-45mm lens. This isn't much of an issue because all Oly bodies have IS built-in anyway.

3. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Panasonic bodies also do in-camera distortion correction. I prefer to use my GX1 for the 7-14 and 14mm due to less processing time. During a bright day with the 7-14 I got a ton of CA's with the EM-5

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Distortion correction is part of the u4/3 standard and is done during the jpeg processing in all u4/3 bodies based on information supplied by the lens. The only exceptions I'm aware of are the two Panasonic Leica branded lenses don't get corrected because they are optically corrected.

If you're shooting raw, the correction is done by the raw conversion software. Some open source converters do not correct distortion.

Fred

5. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Good to know, I must have been mistaken on Panasonic only on that.

6. The PL 25mm is a software corrected lens.

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    So other than what's been mentioned, and perhaps obvious, but since current Panasonic bodies don't have IBIS, and Oly lenses don't have OIS, an Oly lens might not be the best choice for a long tele. OTOH, I was shooting with tele lenses on 35mm cameras long before IS was invented, and somehow managed to take credible photographs.

8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I stand corrected... like the lens :wink:

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  9. I could do with a bit of distortion correction myself.

10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have a follow-up question: I assume that this is not a problem with Voigtlander lenses on a GH2? Thanks in advance.

11. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I own both the Oly OM-D and the Panny GX1. Panasonic lenses owned: 8mm fisheye, 7-14mm, 25mm f/1.4, 45mm f/2.8 and 45-175mm. Olympus lenses owned: 12mm f/2, 45mm f/1.8, 75mm f/1.8 and 12-50mm. All lenses work on both bodies (and worked fine on my old GH2 and GH1 and G1 and Oly E-P1....

So, yes, in short: there aren't any issues between these lenses and bodies. It's one of the best things about m4/3...two first party makers that both make quality stuff. :)