1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly & Panny 25mm, Why the price difference ?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Mattyh, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Mattyh

Mattyh Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    UK
    Just bought myself the e-m1 and thought I would like the Oly 25mm f1.8 to go with it, but here in the UK it's over £100 more then the Panasonic 25mm f1.7 even the used prices reflect the new price difference.

Am I missing something as they both offer the same FOV, both built the same, offer the same ish aperture, the Oly is smaller but the Panny comes with a hood, I'm sorry but I just can't work out why Olympus is charging such a premium.

Has anybody used/owned both who can explain what I am missing?

2. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    the panny was listed for $99 ocer the xmas holidays in the US and exceeded a lot of expectations, selling out and ultimately not fulfilling all orders at that price.

reviews I've read claim the panasonic isn't as sharp as the oly which compares to the 45mm from that line. Great performance for the price. So he oly's a bit better optically, but I haven't tried the panny myself.

Honestly, for the money, the panasonic's probably a great lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    Both lenses come with a hood.

My wife has the Panasonic, I have the Olympus. The Panasonic is physically larger, but feels almost weightless; the Olympus feels very dense. This makes the Panasonic feel cheaper, even if build quality is probably quite similar. Image quality is where you see the difference, the Olympus has higher contrast. The Olympus looks sharper, but I can't measure it. The Olympus 25mm is often said to be the wider counterpart to the Oly 45mm, but I would say its a step above it, much closer to the 12-40 in image quality. The Panasonic 25mm is not a bad lens, but doesn't have the contrast, sharpness, or character of the other native 25mm lenses (or the 20mm).

Why the price difference? I really do not know!

4. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    They are priced differently because they are made by different companies.
    :)

5. adamsmt2013

adamsmt2013 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2013
    I thought the Pany was discontinued. At least in the US. Am I wrong?

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They screwed up royally with their recent $99 promotion with over demand. It's only just been released too, I think they're scratching their heads trying to figure out what to do now...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

When the Olympus hit the market, the only other option was the Panasonic 25mm f1.4, which is a $600 lens. So the Olympus was the "cheap" alternative. Panasonic just launched the 25mm f1.7 and set their price to undercut, so it is now the cheapest. It is still a new lens, and initial reports seem to indicate it is a bit lower quality than the Olympus. It's still a nice option, though.

If you want to save a little, I think I might find a clean used copy of the 25mm f1.8 as it's the best balance of size/price/quality, IMO. The 25mm f1.7 is the best in terms of speed/price. And the 25mm f1.4 is probably the best overall in terms of performance, ignoring price.

You may have a look at that new Sigma 30mm f1.4 that just launched. I heard some great pre-order pricing in the UK (239 I think?)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Australian street prices in AUD:
    Panasonic 25mm f1.7 = $220
    Olympus 25mm f1.8 = $360 ($299 lowest, on promo*)
    Pana Leica 25mm f1.4 = $560
    Sigma 30mm f1.4 = TBA, but my crystal ball says $300-450

*still kicking myself for skipping on that bargain. I hesitated between 25mm and 17mm, which I really wanted but not at $470 :coco: ... I've already got the 12-40mm anyway..

9. TonyG

TonyG Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I have the Panasonic 25mm, Bought it for $99. ITS G
    I have the Panasonic 25mm. It's a nice lens. On another forum there were complaints that the IQ is poor. The posted photos were indeed very poor but the problem was discovered to be that some copies of the lens miss focus and end up front focusing. That hasn't been my experience. My copy is sharp and very comparable to my Oly 45mm. Olympus isn't charging a premium the price is a reflection of the difference in build quality and the Olympus is much smaller.

10. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

I too wonder about the comments about the sharpness of the Oly vs the Panasonic. I have the P25f1.7 and its a fantastic lens, even more so when I factor in the price.

I'm quite sure that many of the "complaints" boil down to mishandling and user error.
    For example on this thread: one would have to ask about his method of determining focus. The "square" could have biased to other image components. I don't feel that's a good setup for testing this effect.

Here is my brief take on the lens:
    in my view ...: Panasonic 25mm f1.7 (the m43 Shallow Normal I've been waiting for)

11. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    I'd buy the Pana 25mm f1.7 in a heartbeat if I have Pana bodies, but I generally cbb to pp just to correct CA, plus the size kind of defeat my purpose. It's not a lot smaller than the 12-40mm.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  12. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I've owned all three and at present I prefer the Olympus! The Olympus is smaller and so is more subtle in use. The Panasonic f1.7 version is a great performer for the money though. If you didn't have a 25mm I'd recommended trying the cheapest option first! The UK prices I'd be looking at for each lens (second hand or grey market) are:

Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 = £139
    Olympus 25mm f/1.8 = £200
    Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 = £250

13. nan

nan New to Mu-43

Jul 28, 2014
    At the moment I have both the 25mm f1.4 and Oly 25. I did a lot of comparison tests recently and the little Oly is overall a better lens for me. Unlike the DG25, it needs almost no distortion correction, more even sharpness across the frame, less CA, quieter to focus, smaller, shorter minimum focus distance(Add the Mcon 02 even more magnification), slightly wider. DG25 is only a tiny hair sharper in the center and with a bigger aperture. Rendering is a wash especially after basic editing. The Oly is simply excellent and will get my vote against both the 1.4 and 1.7 lens.

14. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I think the reason is just marketing choices. Pana already sell the 25/1.4 so it had to propose a different product. The P25 also has to compete with the O25 so they choose to sell it as a "budget" alternative. And now the O25 price is dropping too. I do not think there is a strict correlation to IQ.

15. Mattyh

Mattyh Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    UK
    Ok, So I get that the Oly is slightly better optically, slightly smaller and maybe slightly better built but is this all worth the extra you have to pay for it? I know it's all down to personal choice.

Also is there any extra benefit on using a Oly lens on a Oly body?

16. TonyG

TonyG Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I have the Panasonic 25mm, Bought it for $99. ITS G
    I have the Panasonic 25mm. It's a nice lens. On another forum there were complaints that the IQ is poor. The posted photos were indeed very poor but the problem was discovered to be that some copies of the lens miss focus and end up front focusing. That hasn't been my experience. My copy is sharp and very comparable to my Oly 45mm. Olympus isn't charging a premium the price is a reflection of the difference in build qualuty and the fact that the Olympus us smaller
    [QUOT that post E="pellicle, post: 870104, member: 858"]Hi

I too wonder about the comments about the sharpness of the Oly vs the Panasonic. I have the P25f1.7 and its a fantastic lens, even more so when I factor in the price.

I'm quite sure that many of the "complaints" boil down to mishandling and user error.
    For example on this thread: one would have to ask about his method of determining focus. The "square" could have biased to other image components. I don't feel that's a good setup for testing this effect.

Here is my brief take on the lens:
    in my view ...: Panasonic 25mm f1.7 (the m43 Shallow Normal I've been waiting for)[/QUOTE]
    Ismaller I saw
    I don't think its user error. I used to be a member of that forum before I got fed up with all the infighting. I remember that post but some of the members complaining were experienced photographers. I suspect it's sample variation.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TonyG

TonyG Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Oly45PB270027.JPG
    Olympus 45mm F1.8 @f4

Panny25PB270025.JPG

Panasonic 25mm f1.7 @f4

18. afg08

afg08 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2015
    I ordered the Panasonic but had a feeling I might never see it or if I did it would be several months down the road. I saw a decent deal on a minty Olympus and on an impulse bought it and cancelled the order for the Panasonic. I didn't use the Olympus right away but when I did I was astounded by how sharp it is. I almost surely would not have gotten the Panny as I was well down the list.

19. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    Sorry to resurrect this thread but how's the autofocus performance of the Oly 25mm on a DFD Panasonic body like the GX8? I'm trying to make up my mind on the O25 or P25

20. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I used to own both. Not a deciding factor. Comes down to size, price, aesthetics or speed preference. Both are excellent.