1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly OMD or Panny G5

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by simonz, Dec 27, 2012.

1. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    I have studied the picture samples of the OMD and they are impressive at ISO 3200 and beyond. I currently have a GH2, which now has so-so high ISO capabilities compared to the new breed of cameras. With my aging eyes, I definitely need a EVF. And I slightly prefer the Panny UI over the Pens I have (E-P1, E-P2).

My use for this camera would be general purpose and would like the capability of low light indoor shots without additional flashes or lighting (example church interiors).

Another fine camera that doesn't get much talked about is the G5, which is now selling for $499 vs $999 for the OMD. Both models have the desired internal EVF.

Looking at the studio samples on Comparometer, the OMD has excellent IQ at ISO 3200, whereas the IQ of the G5 begins to get murky at 3200. But these are not real world photos.

Is the IQ of the OMD that much better than the G5 in real world pictures?

2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    The G5 is still fine at 3200, at least that's my experience. I have never used the OM-D but have the G5 and I'm wrapped with it.
    At half the price of the OM-D it's a much better value for money option and the handling and performance are excellent.
    Ultimately the OM-D appears to be a better camera all things considered though.

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The G5 is a fine camera. But yes the EM5 sensor is much much better, especially at high ISO.

Gordon

4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Mine too. I've since sold my G5 and replaced it with a GH3 but towards the end of the time I had the G5 I had upped my Auto-ISO settings to 3200 and had several keepers taken at ISO 3200. By comparison the G3/GX1 I only felt comfortable with ISO 1600 and 3200 as a last resort.

On the GH3, which should be comparable to the OM-D, I'm happy with ISO 6400 so far. It's noisy, but it's still below my personal noise threshold for usability for most purposes.

5. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    I still use my E-PL1, which is my main camera, and my E-P1. Both are fine cameras, but not as good as both the G5 and E-M5. In my experience image quality does not depend on the camera or the sensor alone, but is a combination of the factors (most important factor is mentioned first) photographer, lens and camera. That is, according to my experience using my E-PL1 with a great lens gives me extremely pleasing results, while using my Olympus 14-150mm is not much preferable to using my Canon G12.

Since I am going to update my gear, let me share my thoughts, which may eventually be helpful. The E-M5 and the G5 have both been under my consideration (with some thoughts about the E-PL5 and the GH3). These days I have come to the conclusion, that I should be faithful to my insights and prefer the G5 to the E-M5 on condition that I also improve my lenses. At the moment buying the G5 and the Panasonic-Leica 1.4/25mm seems very much preferable to buying the E-M5 to me. Both options cost about the same. I know, that the sensor of the E-M5 is preferable to the sensor of the G5 in low light, but to me that is by far less important than a faster and better normal lens. The difference of two stops between the normal lens I have and the 1.4/25mm seems to be much more significant than the less than one stop difference between both sensors at high ISO.

However, there is one further point, which is of importance: I have visited my camera store and took all these cameras in my hands (apart from the GH3). In my humble opinion, the G5 fits my hands perfectly and can be operated in a very pleasing way, much more than it is the case with the other cameras. When I had the G5 in my hands, I immediately knew that this is my camera. However, they only had the camera with the kit lens, but I will place my order of the body only soon.

• Like Like x 3
  6. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    imho...the G5 is most under rated and least discussed...because it came out at the wrong time after om-d...and with a tweaked GH2 sensor so most people just write it off...

i find it a very well balanced camera...sure it doesn't do anything great but is doesn't do anything wrong either...in terms of noise i'd say the om-d is probably 1 stop better than G5 at iso1600 and above and has better dynamic range...but surprisingly i'd say the G5 retains marginally more details...

shooting jpeg...all is fine till 1600...at 3200 i find color saturation starts to go...i'd say some PP and at reasonable print sizes real world iso3200 should be fine

the great thing going for G5 is it can be completely silent with the electronic shutter shooting in church and not disturb anyone...

i went with G5 and paid full sticker price for it...btw the G5 now at $499 comes with a kit lens...the om-d at $999 probably not...so G5 is really really great value...

here is a crappy iso1600 jpeg overhead snapshot with the kit lens i have handy...iso3200 isn't that far off...did not plan on shooting but couldn't resist firing off a few shots...i suppose raw and careful shooting will be better...just to give you an idea...
    iso1600.JPG

btw...m43 is not my go-to camera for low lights...my plan is to supplement it with a nex-6 or x-e1...

• Like Like x 3
  7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    You know to be honest based on images I have seen (and a friend that owns an E-M5) I think both the G5 and G3 represent options that are very close to the E-M5 in image quality (real close if you use RAW) and from the few times I have handled the E-M5 I suspect the G5 is more comfortable in the hand. Panasonic has traditionally done a very good job making their G/GH bodies comfortable with great handling and a terrific UI. I think the G5 is an absolute steal compared to the E-M5. There are things that you may prefer about one body over the other. Some folks MUST have IBIS. I myself very much prefer an articulating screen.

The E-M5 is a terrific camera and if you need the things it offers than grab one, but I wouldn't feel like you are getting a lesser camera if you are getting the G5 instead. Here's a link to a nice writeup about the E-M5 and the G3 (I know you're looking at a G5 but I think the information is still applicable).

http://tysonrobichaudphotography.wo...m-d-e-m5-vs-g3-whats-this-about-a-new-sensor/

• Like Like x 1
  8. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Although there are situations for both kinds of screens, I prefer the G5's articulated screen for my macro work, too.

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Agreed, I have a flip up screen on my NEX and I like it quite a lot for certain kinds of stuff. It's a lot easier to be discrete with a flip up screen. I like shooting a lot of closeup stuff. If I shot a lot of street I could see a flip up screen being preferable.

10. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I don't know if this helps, but I briefly had the GH2 and the G5 at the same time, so I took a few high-ISO comparison shots. As far as I could tell they were identical for noise performance. (From the RAW test shots I've seen, the OMD looks around 2/3 stop better for high-ISO noise, and is supposed to have better dynamic range).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd get the OM-D. It's not just about high ISO performance with that camera. The combination of 5-axis IBIS, excellent Olympus processing/metering, mated to fast glass makes the OM-D a very good low light camera. In controlled conditions the GH2/G5/G3 may seem close, but in real world street use, the OM-D is definitely a step above.

The graphs don't tell the whole story. Just look at the numerous low light street shots with the OM-D, and many of them are incredibly good.

• Like Like x 2
  12. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    yup...no arguments the om-d has a better sensor, ibis, etc.

here's a better handheld G5 shot at iso1600 sooc...the silent e-shutter came in really handy...
    P10206091.JPG

sorry no iso3200...i've capped mine at 1600 and so far i don't need more...

• Like Like x 3
  13. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    Silent shutter in G5

I think that the tipping point with me for the G5, other than the lower price, is the silent shutter feature. For me this is a huge feature that I'm willing to sacrifice some high ISO capabilities for. Nonetheless, the G5 appears to be doing just fine at 1600 as the previous church shots show.

Ergonomics come into play too. Various internet commentary has held that some have felt the OMD uncomfortable in the hand, whereas others have said that the improved grip of the G5 makes it feel natural to hold. I do love the way my GH2 feels and I guess that may have carried those ergonomics into the G5. None of my Pens ever felt really good to hold. I do like the Super Control Panel UI on the Pens, but it's not always easy to pull that up when needed (they should have a dedicated button to activate the SCP).

The G5 does address some shortcomings of the G3 that drove me nuts. On the G3, I missed the sensor for switching the LCD on/off. Also one of the control buttons had no feel to it and was useless.

So, I pulled the trigger on the G5 at Amazon before the prices go back to where they were before the Holidays.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I have had a G5 for little over a week and so far am really impressed with it. Most of my photography is either done on a tripod (landscape) or else at ISO 200 to max of 800 and the G5's image quality is plenty "good enough".
    The savings I made over deciding against purchasing the OMD will be put towards getting the 35-100 lens. I really couldn't be happier with my G5, I think it sits right on the sweet spot of the micro 4/3 camera system at present, a great camera at exceptional value.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Saying what I said though, at the low prices of the G3/G5 you really can't go wrong! :wink:

16. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    no arguments there too... :)

just sucks i paid full launch price...oh well...

17. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    the e-shutter has limitations...do explore them and see if they are acceptable...

18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I cannot comment on the G5 (having never used one), but the OM-D is a fantastic piece of kit. I have found it to be solid, reliably, weather-sealed, the IBIS is exceptional and an extremely good performer in high ISO situations. This camera is so good I purchased two of them.

GRA20087-L.
    OM-D w/O45mm, f/2.8, 1/6, ISO 1600

GRAB0414-L.
    OM-D w/P45-200 @ 200mm, 1/180, f/5.6, ISO 3200

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  19. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    It is fun to read my own words I wrote some months ago. I have not bought the G5. It is a fine camera, but I know I would miss many details of my Olympus cameras I love so much. Since then I have looked at many cameras and considered even the Canon 6D, but also the Fuji X-Pro1 and X-E1. Finally I came to the conclusion, that the E-PL5 and the E-M5 are the two cameras I love most.

Yesterday I was sure that I should buy the E-PL5 (after handling both cameras), but decided to wait one day. Today I tried the E-PL5 and the 25mm and did not like the combination, it just felt not right to me. Finally I fell in love with the E-M5 and bought it with the 12-50mm as kit lens. I also bought the 1.8/45mm. It's rather curious, that I finally skipped the 1.4/25mm, but to be honest, the 1.8/45mm is the better lens for my needs and I think I will also buy the 60mm macro lens soon.

20. Funny how things work out. Congratulations on your new camera!