Oly OMD M-5 Settings

2mnycars

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
DaveL
Confession: I have used Nikon gear since I bought my brand new Nikon F2 when they first came out. (I lost out on buying one of the last new Nikon F's) So Nikon feels familiar in my hands. My D300S with grip attached feels similar. ;)
So it's my go-to camera when I want to get results.

Long interval...bought an Oly M-5 to have a second light-weight system. Fully committed. Grip. Kit zoom (the weather sealed one.) Moderate tele zoom...40-150? Recently enhanced with a second body--even more light weight E-PM2, or whatever, which came with another kit zoom.

Bought the manual that David B produced. Heck, I even bought the e-book one when the printed one came apart.

What else should I look for? What other resources are there? Surely there is much out there for those of us that chose to shoot with this little jewel. The OMD.

DaveL

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Other than tips on how others set their custom functions (to try what fits best) I figure just shooting works best.

2mnycars

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
DaveL
My hat is off to all that contributed here.

I am a happy owner. However, I have been challenged on a few outings where my d300s would have performed without flaw.

Dave

2mnycars

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
DaveL
This is the photo forum that I am happiest at.

Another good one, but for Canon users is POTN.

However, posters here are far and away the best in my opinion. Thank you.

rfortson

Mu-43 Veteran
My hat is off to all that contributed here.

I am a happy owner. However, I have been challenged on a few outings where my d300s would have performed without flaw.

Dave

Such as...? Not doubting you, just wondering what the situations were and if the group could help with "work arounds". I found going from my K5 to the E-M5, I had to learn different ways to do certain things, but overall it was worth it for the smaller overall kit.

2mnycars

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
DaveL
Russ--moving subjects.
- Birds in Flight
- my Golden Retriever running

I have used Nikon gear so long that it's intuitive.
I have had M-5 for a year and a half. However, a Nikon 1 V1 was my everyday carry. sold it to get my e-pm2.

edit:

I am getting more shooting time.
I need to review my settings and make sure the camera works for me

2mnycars

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
DaveL
Second last outing my OMD locked up. It restarted. I didn't notice that the settings had all changed.

Last outing, I discovered that it was set at iso 25,600!! I was able to get things going after a bit.So...I have reached a milestone. I knew enough to get going in the field. However, it wasn't a fun experience. Last thing I want is acamera with a learning disability.

Time to restore factory settings?
Time to fuddle duddle and put all the settings I want back in?

I was glad I had the e-pm2 in my bag as a back up.

rfortson

Mu-43 Veteran
Russ--moving subjects.
- Birds in Flight
- my Golden Retriever running

I have used Nikon gear so long that it's intuitive.
I have had M-5 for a year and a half. However, a Nikon 1 V1 was my everyday carry. sold it to get my e-pm2.

edit:

I am getting more shooting time.
I need to review my settings and make sure the camera works for me

Yeah, Dave, I can understand those. I didn't realize you'd been shooting with the E-M5 that long so I'm sure you've worked around all you can. :)

Motion is the one area where I felt like I lost a little. However, with certain activities, I can usually anticipate the action. The Houston GP worked out okay since the cars are on a track. Dogs running in a field are hard unless I can tell what they're running towards/for. Same for BIFs, though I can get the larger birds okay.

Anyway, I can see your point.

RamblinR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Maria
Does anyone know where that greyhound racing thread is. Might be appropriate to link it here. Amazing shots and advice on how to set up camera for action.
I did a search but couldn't find it.

2mnycars

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
DaveL
Well I found out why my M5 locked up on me and settings changed.

I use a grip. Oly one with a battery in it. Because it is a pain in a tender spot to pull the camera battery, I have it set to run off the grip battery. Grip became loose during a shoot in cold weather. Camera shut off. Locked. Camera somehow changed settings when it started. i didn't notice right away. (rooky mistake.) It was setting iso 25,600! And some obscure sensing point...fuddle duddle. Quoting Pierre Elliott Trudeau.

I have the camera running off the battery within the camera now. Thinking of not using the full grip.

2mnycars

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
DaveL
Work around...I have removed the portrait portion of the Oly grip. stashed it in my bag, with the spare battery inside. It fits in my sling bag better.
I have restored factory settings. at least I think I have; then reset those settings that restore functionality as I want it

2mnycars

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
DaveL
Frankly I am disappointed in me.
I am having real trouble getting keepers of moving subjects with my Oly M-5.

Latest threads

Top Bottom