1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly OMD EM5 Mark ii - new flat picture video profile and audio

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by theshawnk, Jan 17, 2016.

1. theshawnk

theshawnk New to Mu-43

Nov 11, 2015
    Shawn
    VIDEO
    Love my EM5ii. But finding out how to use it has been a challenge. The latest firmware release offers a flat picture profile for shooting video, but for the life of me, i can't find out how to set this up.

AUDIO
    I'm recording audio into a Tascam 70D, and running the audio into the camera. My Tascam audio is great, but the audio into the Oly is very low. I want the Tascam audio as back-up , so the in-camera audio will speed up the workflow. Trying to find instructions to make this better, but haven't found very much.

Help anyone?

2. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I'm curious about the flat profile but don't feel like upgrading (I still have version I). For now I use natural with everything on -2.

Has anyone noticed a difference and if so is it worth upgrading?

3. pwol

pwol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2015
    CT
    Menu -> "I" Movie section -> 3rd screen of "I" Movie section -> "Picture Mode"

Turn "Picture Mode" ON

That's it I think.

Switch your mode dial to the movie recording mode. Now the profile is stuck on "Flat". You don't have the option to change it to other profiles like when the "Picture Mode' is set to off.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Go into "I" movie menu and go all the way to the last option called "picture mode". Set this option to "on". Once done, the movie mode will only shoot in FLAT profile. If you want other options, then you'll need to turn this off. Then you can pick one of the picture mode preset or art filters.

Audio - you'll need to adjust the levels manually. I have mine set to 0 for both built in and MIC. This works fine for my Sennheiser AVX system, but the Rode Video Mic might need adjusting depending on the sound.

I'm assuming that you mean the audio is low on the computer. If you are talking about review in camera with the out jack on the optional grip, then you'll need to adjust the headphone audio.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I do. I'm using Premiere Elements 14 and you have quite a bit of latitude in post with it. Did some wedding interviews and B-Roll with it and it did quite a good job given the dark pit the ceremony and wedding were held in.

I'm not super experienced in filmography yet...still getting the basics down somewhat, but the client was happy with what I produced, so +1 there! :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Thank you for the reply. Do you have any samples I could see? Most of my work is just family and personal shorts. I use ps, lr, Sony Vegas with magic bullet in post. How do you like PE 14?

Also if I've never upgraded do I have to do each version or will the newest version take care of that?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    While I use a Rode mic on my E-M5 II I mostly use Tascam DR-40 for audio and record it separately. I use either a lav or just put the Tascam on a Gorillapod on a lectern or near the sound source. Once when I was recording a band and the sound board did not play well with connections I just wrapped the Gorillapod around the main speakers mic stand. Using the Tascam separately will improve the sound quality. I suggest that you reverse your workflow and use the Tascam as your primary audio source and your camera as your back-up.

I use FCPX (and iMovie on my iPad) for post and have only started to dapple in the flat profile.

• Like Like x 1
  8. theshawnk

theshawnk New to Mu-43

Nov 11, 2015
    Shawn
    gryphon1911 and dornblaser, thanks for the replies and answers.

dornblaster, the Tascam is great. I have a shotgun and a wired lav going into it and have both of those channels captured again on the other two channels, but at a lower decimal setting, in case of spikes. I figured if I could get the lineup into the camera going correctly, it would save time in post. But that set up lets me have a lot of options.

9. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    You can upgrade to the newest. Premiere Elements 14 will just be a new install and the older version will remain until you manually remove it.
    As far as the software goes, there is a bit of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it works really well and is all I need for the moment.

I have a clip I uploaded to Youtube. The lighting was horrible at the venue as the DJ had her party lights on and the color casts kept changing. The sample is the FLAT profile with no grading, color correcting or sharpening applied. The audio is the Sennheiser AVX, camera lvel set to 0, AVX took care of the rest.

10. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Great clip! I'd love to see the final version. What lens were you shooting with?

Are you using just pe 14 for all of your color correction, grading, etc? Does it have any filters or presets? I know fcpx has some of that although I edit on pc.

Like I said I'm using lr, ps and Sony Vegas with magic bullet. In trying to shorten my workflow.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  11. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    That clip is among about 30 others in the final product. I'll work up just that clip tonight and post a finished version.
    PE14 does have filters and presets. I did the entire video, integrating stills and video clips with PE14, color correction, grading, contrast, vibrance, sharpening all within the one product. They do give you s good trial period, so you don't have much to lose.

Lens, I was using the Olympus 12-40/2.8 PRO because I had individual and some groups. Shot these at f/2.8, MF with focus peaking.

12. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I appreciate it, but don't rush bc of me. Here is a sample. I was just playing around with focus. It was shot at 60fps at the second highest setting, (I wish
    we could shoot All i at 60fps) and then rendered out at 24fps. I used my 25 1.4 lens by Pany at f1.4. The source file is a little sharper than what is seen here (compression?). Also its handheld, yours? What framerate was yours shot in and rendered out at?

13. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Shot at and rendered out at 30fps. The clip above was on a tripod.

This clip, though was same capture settings on the EM1, handheld:

The EM1 does not have the flat profile, so it was shot with a custom profile much like flat. Premiere Elements 13 on this one, but did add sharpening, color grading, and all that, so this one is much more refined. The audio was in camera mic as I did not have the Rode Videomic with me or a tripod. Did not expect to shoot video on that occasion.

Both the video samples are manual controls and locked AF points once the video started rolling.