oly omd em1 mk1 black lcd screen

orflo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Frank
Hi,
a few days ago I started to get problems with the lcd screen, from time to time it went black and nothing appeared on it any more. The next day it was completely black, up to now..I tried changing batteries (4), changing to other lenses, nothing helped. I can see things through the eye view finder though and take pictures in that way. However, when I push the menu button nothing appears on the eye view finder as well, it turns black until the menu is switched of again. I stack a lot and so that function can't be switched on any more (and many other functions can't be used). The pictures that have been taken can't be seen any more as well...Is this an internal failure (the camera has possibly close to 200 000 images so it had a long life already) or can I do something about that?

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Perhaps the flexi between the camera and the LCD has developed a fault. Which would be a repair by Olympus or a local service company. Certainly the symptoms suggest the camera is sending the menu to the screen, but it is not being displayed.
The other possibility is the LCD itself has failed. Replacements can be purchased from eBay if you want to try, but very few Mki LCD s listed.

orflo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Frank
Hi David,
thanks for the reply, I will contact Olympus but I have my doubts if it's still worth investing money in a repair when the shutter count is already that high...or does anybody have experiences with shutter counts up to 300 000 or more?

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
Just had the same problem with my em5ii. I cleaned the contacts between the lens and the camera and it works now smoothly as usual.

orflo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Frank
Just had the same problem with my em5ii. I cleaned the contacts between the lens and the camera and it works now smoothly as usual.
Hi, thank you, I just tried it but nothing works, and also, can this be related in any way to not being able to see the menu?
I do suspect it's the end of his life...:crying:

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
@orflo,

You should be able to have display sent exclusively to EVF (view finder). Try press that button near view finder several times.

Focus stacking in E-M1 mk1 uses only electronic shutter, which does not wear out like mechanical shutter does. So your 300k shutter use does not mean lots of wear.

orflo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Frank
@orflo,

You should be able to have display sent exclusively to EVF (view finder). Try press that button near view finder several times.

Focus stacking in E-M1 mk1 uses only electronic shutter, which does not wear out like mechanical shutter does. So your 300k shutter use does not mean lots of wear.
Hi, thank you for replying, I already tried to use that button several times but the only thing that appears is the 'auto-switch evf' , enabling or disabling it doesn't resolve the problem of not seeing things on the lcd or not being able to reach the menu

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom