OLY OMD body or GX1+PL25mm 1.4?Help Please:)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi guys ..It seems GAS is coming again . I got fed up while waiting for OMD and now GX1 seems to be quite tempting at body only for AUD 435 .I was wondering if it would be a wise step to leave OMD dream and pick up Panny GX1 with PL25 mm 1.4( I am giving this lens a second chance to convince me ) ? Lets see what majority says and I will pull the tigger by this weekend .. OMD or GX1 + PL25 mm 1.4?
  2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    If you can afford it, OM-D is far better choice: EVF, tilting screen, IBIS, great jpegs, etc. But Oly cams lose value very quickly so if you wait it's likely to cost $500 next year. I tried my friend's GX1 once and was not impressed. Indoor AWB, in particular, was quite poor compared to Oly (presets didn't help much either). OMD will give you additional couple of stops advantage (IBIS) for use with PL25 for still subjects. I think that G3 is a better bang for the buck vs GX1.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bhupinder2002

Thank u so much Thats insighful .
  4. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Since it's multiple choice I chose both!

I think the E-M5 is better, I use it much more often. First of all it has that function called humming on this forum. Others know it as IBIS. You appear to have mostly non-OIS lenses, so you'd benefit from that.

GX1 is significantly more compact especially useful if you use the 14,20, 45. Jpegs have silly amounts of NR, but it's nice.

The results of your poll will be skewed by the inclusion of the holy lens with the GX1.
  5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I'd go for the GX1 and the PL25 and wait for the price to come down on the OMD.

I have the GX1 and it's terrific. It's small, fast and really seems well matched the PL25. The AWB can be adjusted to get very nice JPEG colors as can the NR. The G3 is also nice but I find that I like the additional physical controls on the GX1 a bit more. Of course I don't us MF lenses on m43 any more so IBIS and an EVF is not as important for me as they might have been in the past.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Bhupinder2002

I might end up in ur camp Kevin.. lol
    I had G2 very briefly and did like it but my heart goes to EPL2 all the time. I think GX1 is pretty much Panny's alternative to EPL2. If I pick up GX1 now and sell it say after six months for USD 250 , I have nothing much to lose and by that time OMD might come down by 200 or so . Moreover we are still guessing what Panny is gonna offer .
  7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I haven't used an OM-D but the GX1 is not a direct competitor IMO - so if you're looking for it to be the same thing as the OM-D for you, you may end up disappointed. As Art mentioned: no IBIS, no viewfinder, no articulating screen for starters. I still love my GX1 w/LVF2, but it's just not the same type of camera. If you're ok with that and think of it as sort of an upgraded GF1 and appreciate it on its own merits (as opposed to comparing against the OM-D) then it's a great camera.

Oh, and I don't have any problem with the AWB on either G3 or GX1. I did customize the Auto-WB one step more magenta/amber because Panasonic WB defaults are a touch cooler than I like. Since making that change I almost never touch the WB in post processing anymore.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    Remember a lens is forever (unless you sell it), and body prices drop.
    Plus there are banding issues on some Pany lenses with the OMD (FW update should fix in the future, but when ?)
  9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Well I think it comes down to economics. The OMD is still fetching a premium price but we all know that the price will come down. The GX1 has already dropped in price and you should be able to recoup a significant portion of that when you sell to get the OMD. There is no question the OMD is a terrific camera but the GX1 isn't bad either and to me the GX1 and the PL25 is a great combo and IMHO has more value than the OMD body alone. Of course you have plenty of native lenses so that may not mean as much to you (also didn't you sell your PL25 and buy back the P20?).

If you like the E-PL2 then the GX1 will be a very similar kind of experience (albeit Panasonic flavored). Fast, compact, nicely made body, easy to get to controls. It'll give you better video (if that interests you) and a touch screen that is remarkably useful.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bhupinder2002

I am thinking exactly on same lines actually .I did buy Panny 20 mm 1.7 but I had a look at pics taken with PL25 and thought.oh..I can live with size perhaps..Cheers
  11. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I voted for the GX1 / PL 25 combo, which I have. I've been wanting to pick up the OMD body since it came out but I've been hesitant b/c of the rattlesnake that some forum members have posted about. The PL 25 is one of my favorite lenses, to use in low light situations, and I really like the images it produces.

The reported banding issues (w/ the 20) and the historical rattlesnake issues with the PL lenses (I also have the 45) makes me very aprehensive to pick up the OMD body. I want the OMD body for the IBIS since some of my lenses do not have OIS (8, 20 & 12).
    • Like Like x 1
  12. oly18

oly18 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    Why don't you just use the PL25 with EPL-2 and wait for the OMD to drop? That would make the most logical sense...
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bhupinder2002

I had PL25 before and I sold it . I did use it on my EPL2 . I think I need a new toy to play with ..lol
  14. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I have both myself. I can tell you that the IQ and DR from the GX1 is really really great. The OM-D does a few things better, and I wanted a second body, so the addition of the IBIS and weather sealing for me are the big factors. The GX1/PL25 combo is outstanding. I've taken probably 4-5k shots with that combo and love the way it feels and performs. I find the GX1 easier to use in general and very quick to change my settings around.

I think you'll find the PL25 will work much better on a newer Panasonic body compared to the EPL-2.
  15. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    To satisfy your OM-D fever, maybe you should go for the OM-D now and then resell it within 3 months for near what you paid for. Then you could consider repurchasing a year from now when the price drops. Or, if it turns out that you love and can't resist the OM-D, sell off your current older gear soon after buying the OM-D.
  16. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    IIRC, you had the 25mm before and sold it and went back to 20mm. Why get it again if you didn't like it back then? Ideally, I like to use a body for couple of years before I upgrade. The G1 has been with me for almost 2 years and it was time to upgrade, so I bought the OM-D. So far what a pleasure it has been. I resisted the urge of GH2, G3 and GX1.

A good friend helped me get my priorities right and has helped me contain my need to buy a new body. He was right and I can't thank him enough. Whenever I had the urge, I'd add a new lens for cheap as I know I won't lose any money if I decide to sell them. And that has worked well for me as at least 50-60% of my OM-D were funded by the money I got by selling the lenses and the G1 I got last year.
  17. tanMu4358

tanMu4358 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    To me new technology of OMD5 seems to have more interesting than old one (gX1 is not too old at all). If you can afford the Oly OMD then just take it. Panasonic lenses are best since they have Leica glass technology (among the best German photography glasses).

I just start to get the m43 system and went directly to Oly OMD which is smaller and lighter than the Canon I currently owe.
  18. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    If you shoot s lot of high iso then omd seems to be THE right choice. But if u do 10% high iso like me, then u could live with some noise. In good/normal light I dont think u could see any difference to your epl2.
    Pl25 1.4 has s very un-clinical and magic touch to the pictures. So fix the lens and then start to train your "stand against gas muscles". Boost your creativity instead of the longing for new things!

In all respect!
    / guru fransglans
  19. jgmankos

jgmankos Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2012
    Slatington, PA
    I'd have to agree here. I'd consider the G3 a more direct competitor with the OM-D. I have a G3 for when I want an EVF and/or a tilting screen in a slightly larger package. To me, I consider the GX1 a more compact G3 sans EVF and articulating LCD...in fact for that reason I just picked up a GX1 (to replace an EPM-1) as a compact that my 20 1.7 will reside on since it's roughly the same size as the EPM-1 and I just like the G3 so much :)
  20. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    That's a good point. I was surprised at how small the GX1 was when I got it. It really isn't that much bigger than the E-PM1. IMHO a flip out articulating LCD would make the GX1 perfect.