1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly OM-D E-m5 vs Fuji X-E1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by lexmann, Apr 8, 2013.

1. lexmann

lexmann Mu-43 Regular

Currently I own an OM-D, E-PL5, E-PM1 and a couple of prime lenses and zoom lenses. I am thinking of trading the E-PM1 and some lenses for an X-E1. Anyone own both the Oly and the Fuji? What are your thoughts?

2. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    It depends, how much image quality do you think you'll gain? I did a bit of research on that camera before I got my OMD and found that camera and it's brother are hyped up a lot. It's a great camera if shooting at low light is of ultimate importance, but the OMD does quite well under low light conditions as well.
    I'd say for the marginal, if not, undetectable, image quality difference under normal lighting conditions, it would be more beneficial to spend the money on a high quality lens or two. The OMD is a much better camera anyway given you're in Van where it's rain rain rain.

3. lexmann

lexmann Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for your reply. The thing that attracts me is the Fuji 18-55mm kit lens. I have some zoom lenses (not Pany 12-35mm though) but the images they produce are just too soft. I love very sharp images (I always feel embarrassed when I compare my pics with you guys as you guys' are so sharp!)

4. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Own both.

It all depends what and how you shoot.

The Fuji XF mount does not have any ultra-wide nor telephoto options yet.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I tried the XPro 1 last fall and the XE1 recently. I only tried them quickly. Was just not impressed. Not that they were bad. Just not what they were hyped to be. I didn't see IQ much better than m43 newest sensors. This is the in context, though, of me owning a FF DSLR, where I can get my shallow DOF fix when needed. YMMV.

Loved the controls and handling, though.

Also, review this about the X100s. The XTrans is still being worked out. Fujifilm X100s 'Funkiness' - FM Forums

Lots of folks moving from OMD to XE1, and also folks selling their XE1 to move back to OMD (or also X100s, RX1, Leica and others).

I think at this point, with the newest sensors in m43, it's mainly gear churning between systems. It's down to the photographer now, more than the gear. All the systems are capable. Go for the one that fits your style best, and has the lenses you want.

I think, though, that if the XE1 had kept the EXR sensor, it might have had more of an advantage. Just IMO, though.

6. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Check out images taken with the PanLeica 25mm, Panny 12-35mm and 7-15mm. Also the Oly 9-18mm and 12mm. Do you already own any of these? They're expensive but cheaper than a new system. If you get even 1 great lens, you'll be getting you'll know where your money went.

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I have two OM-D's and a X-Pro1 (same sensor as the X-E1).

They are two very different cameras. The differences aren't necessarily good or bad.

The OM-D is lightning fast to operate, lightening fast to AF, lightning fast FPS ... the OM-D is a little jewel. The OM-D is so responsive that you can get 'The Shot', the exceptional image almost in a reactionary mode.

The Fuji is much slower in use. But not slower bad, the Fuji experience makes you think about the camera, The Shot, the aperture, the exposure, the whole enchilada. So while the Fuji is slower in use than the OM-D, you're not waiting, you're doing stuff ... and best of all you're thinking.

Image-wise, to me the OM-D delivers images which look more digital-ish. The Fuji files look more film-esque. Hard to put a finger on it, hard to tech-talk the difference ... for me juicier works. The X-Trans sensor is a bit juicer than the Sony sensor.

Gary

PS- I have all the Fuji lenses and most of the µ4/3 premium. Generally, the premium µ4/3 lenses are the equal of the the Fuji glass. µ4/3 premium glass is at least the equal if not better than the 'L' lenses I use for my FF system.
    G

8. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I've had both. Both are fantastic systems, and yes that Fuji 18-55 is extremely good. I kept the µ4/3 system because I decided it fits me better. I agree that it's more about what you like, what fits your style the best, and what helps you make great images and doesn't get in your way.

9. lexmann

lexmann Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for all the input.

The lenses I have now are:
    Oly 12mm 2.0
    Oly 17mm 2.8 (sucks)
    Pany 20mm 1.7
    Pany 25mm 1.4
    Oly 45mm 1.8
    Pany 14-45mm 3.5-5.6
    Oly 14-42mm 3.5-5.6 II (kit lens for my E-PM1)
    Pany 45-150mm 4.0-5.6

I was thinking of getting the Pany 12-35mm 2.8, but the X-E1 with 18-55mm cost only a bit more. That's why I would like to seek some advice here.

10. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    If you're choosing between the Pany 12-35/2.8 and the X-E1 kit, I'd go with the X-E1 kit. You already have good zooms and fast primes on the µ4/3 side, which IMHO makes the 12-35 a waste of money.

Imagine selling the redundant zooms and primes and getting both the 12-35/2.8 and the X-E1 kit. If you can't imagine that, then definitely don't go with the 12-35.

11. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    My advice: sell the E-PM1, the 12mm, and the 17mm. Get the 12-35. You won't regret it.

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I shot the Year of the Snake parade with an OM-D and Fuji. This was my first real shooting with the Fuji so I was (and still am), low on the Fuji learning curve. The OM-D had the P35-100 the Fuji that the 18-55. It was not a pleasant shooting experience. It was hard going from the responsive OM-D to the anticipatory Fuji.

In the beginning I was trying to shoot the Fuji like the OM-D, the Fuji isn't as good an OM-D as the OM-D.

I am now determined to use the Fuji differently than the OM-D and not in a complimentary fashion.

For me, for the way I shoot, I wouldn't have a problem purchasing the Fuji in lieu of the P12-35, but I would have the caveat that the Fuji isn't an OM-D. You have the lens lineup where the P12-35 creates a lot of redundancy.

Again, for what and how I shoot, I find two bodies extremely useful when shooting primes and that I can get away with one body if I use zooms.

Gary

13. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I had a similar spread of lenses much like you in m4/3 format, but ended up with what's in my sig.

Going to a 12-35 eliminated the need to have so many primes lumped very close in the same FoV department.

If I were you, I would sell everything but the 20 and 45 and 45-150.

That should be enough to get you a 12-35 easily.

14. curiouspeter

curiouspeter New to Mu-43

Apr 10, 2013
    I rented the OM-D and the X-pro1 for a weekend. To my eyes, the x-trans sensor produces cleaner blue skies and shadows in good light. However, having image-stabilized fast primes on the OM-D is really great when it gets dark.

The OM-D is the reasonable choice. But photography is also about emotion... If I were you I would also get the X-E1 just for the feel.