Oly O-MD EM5 unboxing in China

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by asaulo1, Mar 27, 2012.

1. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    100% sold - even with the grip it is just a little baby. Nice to see the unboxing, thanks for the link! No translation necessary for that one.
  3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010

what is this?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    good catch demiro, I just glanced over it and didn't think anything of it. Is it a rendering or a new model?
  5. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    It's an old rendering...
  6. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    Wow, great find! E-M5 is a great looking camera! :thumbup:
  7. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

It's a little baby except for that huge pentaprism housing. That's all the more surprising considering it doesn't contain a pentaprism. :wink:
  8. blaffendespin

blaffendespin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2012
    Rexburg, ID
    No idea what was said, but it looks awesome! Too bad I'm a poor college student :(
  9. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    I'd take the pentaprism any day over having no built-in EVF. I much prefer that to the range-finder style "to the left" viewfinder too.

While I'm someone who generally likes more of a modern design, I have nothing to complain about regarding the design of the OM-D as yet.
  10. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Google translate hates me!

- Eliot
  11. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Except it isn't huge, more just a sharp peak. Gives it some character, and though it isn't a pentaprism it serves the exact same purpose, so why not make it familiar?
  12. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm in the other situation: I hate Google translate!
  13. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    Hmmm... the image of the box that the OM-D comes in has lead me to a question. Since its the "Olympus OM-D E-M5" mouthful of a name... I assume from past reading, its intent is akin to "Canon EOS 550D"... As EOS is the name of the brand line, then 550D is specific model name. But with the Olympus, the box seems absent of the "E-M5" model name and has instead focused on "OM-D".

Does that seem odd to anyone else, or has OM-D caught on more as the primary name and the possibility of a series name change may be in order. Kinda like when the original OM-1 came out as the M1.
  14. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    ^ The OM-D is to PEN as the em5 is to ep3?
  15. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The page is from Taiwan I think, not mainland China.

This picture demonstrates the size quite clearly!

I think the E-M5 is the perfect size - big enough to get a good grip without going overboard.
  16. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    The last photo of the fully gripped camera in the hand shows how compact it still is. Quite amazing really. Without having the chance to hold one as yet, it appears the ergonomics of the whole package are excellent.

Damn that GAS..... It is so difficult to ignore.
  17. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    I'm loving how, uh, grippy the grip looks. It is not messing around or being stylish, its just a solid hook to hang the camera on your fingers - will definitely be getting the grip.
  18. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Which netherworld god do I have to sacrifice a sheep to? I want the EM-5 in my country already... :(
  19. EthanFrank

EthanFrank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    Google translate really did a number on this page! My favorite, from the comments:

• Like Like x 1
  20. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    Oh that had me laughing hard... Nice