1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly miniaturization... too far?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zettapixel, Jul 6, 2011.

1. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Ok, a disclaimer first. I really do think the smaller :43: cameras are the better. But...
    One thing that disappointed me about E-PL3 is the absence of any kind of grip. In fact, if I were to choose a camera right now I would probably not even consider E-PL3 and E-PM1 for this very reason. I know many people use neck straps with :43: but for me it's not a preferable way, mainly because I prefer to have several lenses in a bag and, since a bag has a neck strap already, why would I need another one? A hand strap could be useful but when taking a camera out of bag I would rather hold it by a grip than anything else. So, my E-P1 does not have any straps attached at all.
    Am I the only one who thinks Olympus went too far with this miniaturization attempt? What's more, I really think this difference is more perceived than real, since the depth of E-PL3 is still the same as E-P3 (the lens mount protrudes from E-PL3) so E-PL3 + pancake combo is really about as pocketable (or not) as E-P3 + the same pancake.
    What do you think?

2. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Actually I think it's great that the camera has NO grip.

There will be an opening here for aftermarket grips. Because there is no "built-in" grip, you can buy one that will fit your needs - small, large, whatever.

I find it interesting (and yes disappointing) that the E-PL3 and E-PM1 do not have the same type of screw in custom grip nor touchscreens that the E-P3 has. It's easy to tell that it's possible, the exclusions are purely because the marketing dept wants feature differentiation.

Given the GF3 has a touchscreen, I have a feeling sometime in early 2012 we'll see an E-PM1s that has a touchscreen as well - for that target market they can't afford not to.

Size-wise, from my initial thoughts it doesn't seem overly small. But I have yet to hold one.

3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    E-pl3 and e-pm1 both do have touch screen, e-pm1 has less actual controls just touch screen, where as e-pl3 will still have touch plus actual buttons/knobs.

4. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    I wouldn't expect aftermarket grips for E-PL3. Will we have to glue it on the body? If anything it would probably void the warranty plus I wouldn't trust a thing like that. It's possible to design something to screw on the tripod socket, but it would be bulky.

That's what I felt too, that Olympus actually wanted a smooth camera body to create an illusion of thinness. :frown:

Looks like market is moving to touchscreen, and imho it's a good thing. At the very least, touchscreen UI can be better than having 8 different buttons (see Apple Inc). Whether camera makers are able to design UI that's actually is better... I have my doubts :rolleyes: but let's hope.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, the difference in the screens is that the E-P3 has a 614k dot OLED screen as opposed to the 460k dot LED screen which I believe is on the E-PL3 and E-PM1. They should all be touch sensitive, though.

6. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    Well, how many times have you complaineed that a point and shoot or your phone is missing a grip?

I think the point is to make it small and light enough to not need a grip. I would like to see the body end up at a size barely larger than the lcd screen provided. I don't need a grip, I can just hold the lens or the entire body.

I think people who want a grip, want something larger, not smaller. It would be like putting a grip in your phone camera...

7. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    To play devil's advocate... You dont need a grip on a P&S because there is a fixed lens & weight distribution.

The Lens for these cameras get pretty heavy (even those w/out grips)...so we will have to see how it affects usability.

But... you could always use this:

[​IMG]

8. Photorx12

Photorx12 Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    I do see after market grips as a possibilty...look at the Leica D-lux 4 & 5, they have a grip via the trippod mount screw. I"m sure someone can follow in these footsteps with different grips. or as stick ons, point is that it has been done and probably will again. Wherever there is a chance to make money, companies milk it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Actually, a lot of P&S have a tiny grip which is much better than none.

Try that with 100-300, how small and light is it going to be? Not to use large lenses is not an option since it is, after all, an interchangable lens system.

On the contrary, I'm all for smaller cameras, the grip on E-P1 is a couple of mm deep but very effective. How about this piece of spec (from dpreview): E-P3 depth=34.2mm, E-PL3 depth=37.3mm. Yep, E-PL3 is deeper (I think E-P3 was without the grip though). What I would like to see Olympus do is to reduce it by 5-6mm.

10. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I'm pretty sure there is NO touchscreen functionality for the E-PL3 and E-PM1.

Olympus PEN Lite Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Scroll down on the comments by Richard Butler, who wrote that preview and who handled the camera:

If you read the press-release for all 3 cameras, you will note that the touchscreen ability is explicitly stated for the E-P3, but tellingly omitted from the description of the E-PL3 and E-PM1.

Olympus E-PL3, E-PM1: Two more PEN-series cameras, one previewed

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I wouldn't even be surprised if that exact same Leica D-Lux grip fits on the new E-PL3, lol. The cameras look very similar in size.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's too bad! That would definitely mean the E-PM1 would be out of the question for me. It must have E-PL1-type menu-driven controls. The E-PL3 at least looks like it has enough external controls to match the E-PL2. I had thought both had the Touch Screen, which would have helped in their lack of external controls like the E-P3 has. All the more reason to shell out and get the E-P3 with all the fancy dials, customizable buttons, and grips. ;)

13. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Photorx12, MrKal_El

Yes, both solutions work but both increase camera dimensions, which, basically, defeats the purpose...

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't know about that... the D-Lux grip for instance looks like it only increases bottom length. I can live with that, to keep the camera as slim as it is. The slimness in the back of the camera is what really changes its packing dimensions. Front grip space doesn't make much difference because of the lens itself.

Plus, it's now a more modular design (like the E-P3), meaning that you can pack the grip in a seperate compartment, a seperate pocket, or leave it out altogether when you want to travel really light.

15. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    That's true. IMHO if my options are: 1) increasing the front grip, which doesn't increase dimensions since any lens is thicker, and 2) increase the height - I would prefer option 1.

That's a very nice touch by Olympus, I hope E-PL4 will have that as well.