Oly...make a old school, manual control M43

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by lovemyoly, Jun 24, 2013.

1. lovemyoly

lovemyoly Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 7, 2012
    Oly...make a old school, manual control M43. An area I hate about the M43's is the hard to adjust controls. Way too hard to adjust on the fly.

I'd gladly pay $600 - $800 for a body with an old school shutter dial on top. Just make it user friendly with basic controls and a kick ass sensor like a 24mp.

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    That all depends on which body you're talking about, doesn't it? The cool thing about m4/3 is there are so many options.

3. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Easy, is called Fuji X-System. currently they have 3 or four cameras with all that, except for the 24mp sensor. Xpro1 - XE-1 - X100s - XM1 and they go now for around $800. have fun and dont forget to share some images with us! :2thumbs:

4. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    E-M5 ... Two control wheels on top, easy.

5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Which ones have you tried? I think your issue may partially be your budget...

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    As soon as Sony comes out with a 50mm RX* full frame - I'm "in like flint" :biggrin:

7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Leica X2 nearly got it right....right controls, but fixed lens, 'wrong' sensor (its not 4/3) and an elevated price.

Leica-X2-Silver-top.

K

8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    One of the things I like about the E-M5 is that manual exposure controls are so easy with the two dials on top.

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    As Chris mentioned ... the Fuji's are old school, aperture ring on the lenses and shutter dial on top ... when you pick it up you're transported back in time to the good ol' days.

I keep trying to load film into my Fuji's.

Gary

10. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com

I enjoyed the basic controls on the X2 and it took superb images but the price was double what it was worth and the lack of a viewfinder eventually made me sell it.

11. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Dont forget red and yellow filters for your B&W film Gary! :thumbup:

12. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

[​IMG]

One of the reasons why Leica still has a strong following... Unfortunately, the consumers that place a high value on such design still remains the minority.

I personally think one company got it perfectly right... Epson R-D1 (even better than my Leica)

(See first photo in link)
    http://www.tobinharris.com/past/2011/6/12/first-photos-from-the-epson-r-d1/

Notice analog readout. Notice the Shutter dial that has both shutter and compensation integrated. Look very closely at that same shutter dial... ISO is also integrated. Notice the shutter dial hangs off the front of the camera just a tiny bit within reach of the pointy finger. Notice the on and off switch w/ its location. I could completely work the camera without the LCD even enabled. I can set everything while the camera is at waist level. I can see all the settings at one glance of the top of the unit. btw.. despite the film advance lever, its digital.

PS> Just noticed that Leica moved the shutter dial towards the back of the camera on the X2... Why?

13. DanSullivan

DanSullivan Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Colorado
    Dan Sullivan
    Epson R-D1

Fascinating camera, thanks for the post! More details here:

Epson R-D1 Review

I love the analog gauges. It would be wonderful if a modern mirrorless camera could have needle/dial displays for exposure settings and light metering, even if they were synthetically rendered on the EVF/LCD. Dials are much easier to quickly understand than digits.

14. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yup... Made great images too. It had its quirks (battery, manual frameline selection, base length of the rangefinder) but IMO it was a well laid out control set. Still remains to be the biggest seller's regret on my part even though I got more for it than what I paid for.

Epson R-D1 w/ 75mm Summarit f/2.5

8624615974_b57c057960_c.