1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly Macro Lights.....Any Good?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Dave in Wales, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  2. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    I own it & find it useful in only limited circumstances where a little more light is helpful for hand holding or for fill. But it's output is too low for broad usefulness.

It can soften shadows only if the primary light is modest.

What are you hoping to use if for?

3. hinata76

hinata76 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    Singapore
    Y not diy? So much cheaper.

on Nokia 8800

4. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    There are lots of DIY plans out there. One issue to consider is many cheap LEDs have a difficult to White Balance spectral distribution. There is a good thread on the topic on this forum.

5. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    As the video demo shows, if you intend to use the MAL-1 at higher magnifications (i.e. short working distances) only, it will provide a significant amount of light. Using my P45mm @ say 0.25x-1x, it adds lots of light. But at the other end say a large flower in sun light w/ the P45 or a dragon fly w/ a 150mm, its pretty worthless.

6. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I picked it up on sale to use with my Raynox dcr-250. I am not very good or experienced in this kind of thing (just dusting off the Raynox after much disuse) but it seems okay to me for this purpose. Like others say though, I wouldn't count on it for anything much more distant. Like I say though, I have almost no experience with any kind of off-camera flash, so I could very well be way off base.

8523556266_dd0a6fdf7f_z.

7. hinata76

hinata76 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    Singapore
    Will do mine when my spare hotshoe cover arrive from hong kong. Already reached is a gooseneck led lights which uses 3xAAA batteries.gonna glue the clip to the hotshoe mount and volia!

on Nokia 8800

8. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I bought one during the recent sale, and it works exactly as shown in the video. I don't have a lot of use for it, but it is nice to have when I need to create a little highlight on something small.

9. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Mostly I use my Olympus mini light arm with small spiders, where it does a good job of giving nice modelling via the two lights from different orientations. For the same kind of subject I now often use the OM-D's supplied clip-on mini flash, with a reflector "umbrella' made of a strip of shapeable aluminium foil stuck to the flash and shaped for the circumstances to spill diffused light downwards [and/or sideways].
    This is an example: Tiny spider on a grape:

2160007SpiderGrapeOMDLcMc16Tbf16S60Is800BFlx1200.

• Like Like x 1
  10. hinata76

hinata76 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    Singapore
    Okay these are not macros but I use the self diy goose neck led lights and 14mm pancake/sony fisheye converter.sorry if these are squares..they are fron my instagram account. Total cost to make under sgd$10.

on Nokia 8800

Attached Files: