Oly M10 II or Pan GX85/80??

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by DennisH, Jun 14, 2016.

1. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    Ive got both and thinking about this question myself because I probably wont keep both, but I was interested what people thought if they had to choose one or the other?

I was going to give a brief intro that they seem to be competing against each other in the mid range market, but ill keep it simple and let us all just mention what we would like. So which one would you choose and why?

Dennis

2. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Really tough call because those cameras have different strengths. I chose the GX80 because a) I already own the E-M10, and IQ remains mostly unchanged and b) I like the rangefinder style of which I find the GX80 a near perfect implementation. If better I.B.I.S. and great EVF are higher on your priority list than versatily and feature richness (4K, among others), the E-M10 II might be the better deal, though.

M.

• Like Like x 1
  3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Well I sold off my E-M5 mkII for the GX85. I prefer rangefinders for this stuff. The E-M5 mkII and E-M10 mkII are great cameras. But with the exception of the SCP, ability to disable some display screens, and maybe light composition there's not much they offer that I think I'll miss.

But if I were using m4/3 for tracking moving subjects more I'd have kept the SLR style body.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    For me interface and handling are key in a decision like this. I tried to get along with the Panasonic ergonomics and viewfinder setup, but I took more naturally to the Olympus setup. Mostly because it reminds me of using my Nikon DSLRs more than Panasonic.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Definitely agree about "like Nikon DSLR handling". It was one of the big draws for me as well. I wish I could build my own body with parts of each system.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    True...maybe that is the next step in the evolution of m43. Modular components. Wishful thinking on my part, but why not reach for the stars! lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MCMLXXIII AD

MCMLXXIII AD Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    London
    Mahesh
    Had EM10, returned it; bought GX80, kept it. Hated the hump on EM10 and olympus menu system. Have been waiting for a camera without this hump and with IS. GX80 was a good news for me. Pen F twice costly but not significantly different. Also do not like the fact that there is no grip to that for me. I don't think I will use 4k much as I am a photographer first.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    I'm really thinking to return the GX85 and keep the m10 II, I like the style of the rangefinder but feel it is bulkier than my m10 II and I really love the EVF on the m10 ii. I might just try to find a used GM5 to keep a rangefinder style with EVF. It will compliment my GM1.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

9. mario23

mario23 Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    FL
    I prefer rangefinder style too. I had the em10 when it first came and loved it. I have the pen f now and it's world's better to me in design and layout. Of your choices I'd go with the gx85.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Mu-43 app

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I have two E-M10s and picked up a GX85 when it first came out. I really liked it, but I wear glasses with a strong distance Rx, astigmatism and cataracts. Oh yes, I wear progressive lenses. I can see the whole EVF on the E-M10 and have no issues with it. On the GX85, I couldn't see the whole EVF at once, and for some reason, looking through it gave me an instant headache. I reluctantly returned the GX85, as I'm mainly an EVF shooter. A few weeks later, I was in Best Buy and checked out the cameras. They had an E-M10 II next to the GX85. I had no issues with the Oly, but with the GX85, I experienced the instant headache and of course, couldn't see the whole EVF. Don't know what my issue is, but the EVF on the GX85 makes this camera a no for me. :-(

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I intend to shoot more video, so it's the GX85 for me.

12. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    I didn't take the time to look at the specs but I think the EVF in the m10 II has more magnification so it's larger when we look through the eye piece. Also in lower light I see rainbow pixel effects on the GX85 that I don't see with the m10 II so that's a major turn off at this price point of the GX85 for me. I could look at it again if they lower it to $599 by December ? Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

13. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I own the original E-M10 and have no issues with the EVF. I haven't been able to compare its EVF to that of the E-M10 II, but both EVFs work great for me. I haven't compared specs. But my eyes do fine with both. I don't know what it is about the GX85's EVF, but I agree that the camera needs to drop a lot in price before I'd spend the $$ for it. Really nice camera otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk