1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly lenses with Pany Body? Disadvantage?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DennisH, May 8, 2016.

1. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    I was just wondering if you buy into Olympus lens and bodies your at a disadvantage for image stabilization if you get a Pany body? But the other way around your not because the Pany Lenses have optical stabilization?

Dennis

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's a lot more complicated now with dual IS, DFD, and some of the very latest Panasonic bodies having good IBIS...

3. specialagenttuna

specialagenttuna Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2013
    Depends on the lens. If you don't have a Panasonic body with some sort of ibis, then Olympus lenses with no stabilization will leave you without any stabilization. I'm not sure if Panasonic lens stabilization works on Olympus cameras but they usually have ibis that works really well so you'd be OK. Otherwise, I think if the manufacturer matches for both body and lens, you get the advantage of in body correction of chromatic aberration and lens correction but it'd be simple enough to fix in post if they don't match.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Panasonic lenses work fine on Olympus bodies and most newer Olympus bodies have an option to select in body or in lens stabilization for those Panasonic lenses without a dedicated OIS on/off switch.

5. jimevidon

jimevidon Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    It's not a good idea if you want to have image stabilization.
    Most Panasonic bodies do not have in camera body image stabilization since the Panny lenses have OIS. Some newest Panny bodies do have limited IS that is intended to work in concert with Panny lens OIS.
    Olympus bodies have in-body stabilization and therefore Oly lenses do not have OIS.
    Bottom line: Panny lenses work fine with Oly Pen and OM-D bodies because the sensors do all the stabilization. Oly lenses will work ok on Panny bodies but you will not have image stabilization
    by using them unless you use some of the newest Panny bodies, but even then the IS will be limited and will be less than if you were using Panny lenses.

Do I have you thoroughly confused now? I'll restate it. Use Panny lenses with Panny bodies. Use either Panny lenses or Oly lenses with Oly bodies.

6. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    The new GX80/85 has 5-axis body image stabilisation specifically for working with non-OIS lenses :) And by the way, Panasonic lenses with a focal length less than 30mm don't have OIS either.

7. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    This factor is one reason I bought a Panasonic 12-35 instead of a Oly 12-40. I have a GM5 and only the 12-35 has IS. When I use the 12-35 on my E-M10 it doesn't matter, but it matters on the GM5.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
  9. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Hi Dennis,

One thing missing from the discussion is what focal length are you most interested in with respect to having IS and at what shutter speeds?

If you mostly shoot outdoors during the day with wide angle lenses, then IS doesn't really matter. Even shooting at longer focal lengths, as long as your shutter speed is enough IS often is secondary (say shooting the 60mm Oly during the day where your shutter speeds are at 1/500).

On the other hand, if you love shooting at dusk from a duck blind with a 200+ mm lens, NOW image stabilization becomes a huge factor.

So when you get that Panny body are you most using shorter focal lengths or longer focal lengths? And are you doing a lot of low light, indoor, or night shooting where shutter speeds are often below what is normally needed to overcome camera shake?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    It might be for some people. Depends on what you normally photograph.

(I shoot completely unstabilized but I have a feeling I'm not the norm around here).

11. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    IS is a convenience that works in limited situations, and experienced shooters can compensate for not having it. For slow zooms though, it makes sense to stay with Panasonic lenses that have OIS.

However, there's no reason to ignore the wider angle Olynpus primes, their two wide angle zooms, or the Rokinon 7.5mm and 12mm, where IS hardly needed. Finally, I feel that good lenses like the Sigma 30, Olympus 45mm and 75mm, and maybe the Rokinon 85mm are always worth using on a Panasonic body. Just avoid point/shoot. Be aware of shutter speeds, etc.

12. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis

Well for me I have several lenses , I know I'll be ok with the Oly 25mm but I also have a Oly 14-150mm that I like to use as a everyday outdoor nature lens. So I was thinking of the IS in the longer focal range of my all around 14-150mm lens.

DH

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

13. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The 14-150mm II profits from I.B.I.S. - considerably. The 150mm end is surprisingly nice, but at 300mm-e, you'd have to have quite bright light to make use of the lens without stabilisation (it's f/5.6). I'd really recommend using it on a stabilised body.

M.

• Like Like x 1