Oly lenses on Panny bodies? Any downsides?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by brettmaxwell, Jul 26, 2013.

1. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    The rumored GX7 just may convince me to ditch the OM-D, but I'm very happy with my Oly 17/1.8 and 45/1.8. Do Oly lenses (particularly these ones?) usually work well on Panny bodies? Any complications or downsides? Can I expect AF to be just as fast and smooth? Do Panasonic cameras apply lens corrections to jpgs with Oly lenses?
  2. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    To my experience, they work identically, and are designed to do so.
  3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    The only down size is that you d not gain the auto CA that Panasonic supports with Panasonic lenses. But in any case this is minor since Olympus does not support CA removal at all.
    The beauty of :43: is that all companies lenses are compatible.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would not consider that a downside since the m.Zuiko lenses aren't made for software CA correction in the first place and do their best with optical correction. Maybe it's not always as good as the software correction Panasonic applies, but it's natural and you can always apply further correction in post yourself. So it's really only an issue when using Lumix lenses on an Olympus body, since the Lumix lenses were made with the expectation of software correction.

The only downside I see is the rich, deep colors you'll get from the Olympus glass. They might look too good. ;)

No seriously... there could be one downside and that is the lack of In-Body IS on the Panasonic body. No m.Zuiko or Zuiko glass will have Optical IS due to the Olympus bodies having IS built-in. Of course, not all Lumix lenses feature OIS either, so you could be running into the same lack of IS using a Panny/Panny combo as well. This isn't really a disadvantage of the Oly on Panny combo, but rather an advantage lost from that Oly bodies feature.
  5. blotto

blotto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Like Ned stated above the biggest downside would be the loss of in body stabilization.
  6. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    You will not have any kind of IS. That may or may not be a problem depending on the conditions you are shooting under.
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    ... and the lenses you use. This will be a more apparent loss if using longer focal lengths.
  8. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    According to rumours there will be on board IS in the GX7

- The leaked document says it’s 16Megapixel but I heard it’s 18MP. This makes me think the sensor may be multiaspect. Which means 18 megapixel sensor with 16 megapixels effective resolution (like it was on the GH2!).
    - It has a Magnesium body and comes in full black or black-silver.
    - It has an on sensor stabilization (first ever for Pana).
    - Same video quality as the GH3
    - Shutter speed up to 1/8000
    - 5fps (4fps with continuous A)
    - it can focus also in very dark conditions
    - Tiltable 2,76 Million Dot EVF
    - Tiltable 3 inch LCD (1,04 Million dots)
    - Integrated WiFi and NFC
    - Focus peaking
    - Stereo Mic
    - Shipment in September
    - Body only price 1.000 Euro
    - There will be two kit version. One with 14-42 and one with 20mm lens.
  9. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013

Yes, though likely not as good as what is in the recent Olympus bodies. But better than nothing, and an improvement on what Panasonic has now.
  10. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    I have 2 Olympus lens (one zoom and one prime) and I use them on my Panasonic G5.
    I'm very happy with the results. I only need to be carefully and not shoot at slow speeds handweld because those lens don't not have IS.
  11. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I have the Oly 45mm & the BCL 15mm and use these on the old 12mp Panasonic bodies without any problems or with any need of any IS.

As for the GX7, lets wait and see how it all works.
  12. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    Yeah, the GX7 having built in IS would be pretty essential to me making the switch, but I wouldn't mind if it wasn't quite as good as the 5-axis Oly IBIS.

Thanks guys, I guess I'll be watching the GX7 rumors closely.
  13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Can't say I see it that way. Olympus m4/3 lenses generally have a fair amount of CA, and definitely benefit from software correction.