oly lenses cases

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by oly.sol, Mar 30, 2016.

1. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I bought several OpTech Snoot Boot neoprene pouches and have been very satisfied with those. I recently purchased a couple of Altura neoprene pouches and those seem to be pretty decent. I like the light padding and water resistance offered by the neoprene lens pouches, and they come with a clip to hang them from a belt or sling strap.

OpTechs here OP/TECH USA Snoot Boot

and Alturas here Amazon.com : Altura Photo Small Neoprene Pouch Bag for DSLR Camera Lens (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic) : Camera & Photo

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  3. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    I see that the small hard "barrel" case fits both the 9-18 and 12-40 lenses (plus others), which are the lenses I would want to use it for. The thing is, those lenses ar a lot different in size. Is there some kind of padding inside the hard case to prevent smaller lenses from rattling around?

4. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I agree. Considerable size and weight difference between the two. Was a little surprised to see it specced that way.

5. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    These are the same price on Amazon and there is a picture of case open. Looks like there is no insert.

I am guessing that the 9-18 is a just a tad too tall to fit into the extra-small case.

6. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I use a couple of old stubby holders. The 40-150 fits perfectly, the 7.5 fits too although it doesn't fill up the whole length. The 12-40 is a squeeze and it does stick out a little bit but it works. I would like to find a couple of new holders but they're either too flimsy, ridiculously expensive (for what it is) or screamingly ugly. I might consider "proper" lens cases but I don't want a lid and hate to stuff around with any draw stings.

7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

When do people use these? I put all the ones that came with my Panasonic lenses back in the box since I store the lenses in open air at home, and carry them either in a pocket (e.g. a small prime) or in a set of padded dividers in a pack.

8. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I use mine when using a regular shoulder bag that doesn't have an insert. Just plonk a couple of lenses + camera in and I'm good to go. Or, when out bushwalking and I can't have all lenses up front, I have one or two lenses in the backpack in a case of some sort. I don't like big inserts.

• Like Like x 1
  9. wjiang

Hmm I know what you mean. It took me ages of hunting around eBay and the like before I found an insert that was appropriately sized for m4/3 lenses (not too tall especially) and could fit in just about any normal backpack. It's highly flexible rather than moulded for a messenger bag shape only, and has a drawstring at the top too (forming a pouch of sorts) so I don't have to worry about crap falling in. When I go on a trip I slide lenses in, and put the whole thing in my bag of choice.

• Like Like x 1
  10. marktegethoff

marktegethoff Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Washington, DC
    Mark Tegethoff
    Do you by chance have a link to this product? Seems interesting.

11. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I use pouches for a number of reasons. For one, Olympus supplied a lens pouch for the 12-40 Pro only, and it's not as protective as one of the neoprene pouches. I messily put all my camera gear in a big box. I don't have a dedicated storage cabinet, although have thought about it. So, having them in pouches protects them and keeps the dust off. I take the lenses out and rotate through them often enough not to worry about mold at this point, but if I stored them in a cabinet, I'd have to find a way to dehumidify the whole works (living in the subtropics). Also use the pouches when stuffing camera gear inside a messenger bag or backpack when I don't use an insert, or to clip one or two to a utility sling when out and about with a minimal kit.

Here's one tip: when using a pouch as a lens carrier when clipped to a sling or belt, use the pouch that easily fits the biggest lens you're using. So, when you change lenses, you have a place to put the big lens. Learned this apparently obvious fact the hard way. :)

BTW, the LowePro S&F Lens Exchange case looks like a good solution for when you're out and about without a bag. Facilitates changing lenses.

12. wjiang

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    no padding to take up extra space, but the cases that are longer are designed to hug the lens to there's no rattling. at least that's the case w/ how my lenses fit.

14. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    I use the pouches that came with my Oly pro lenses. They're the right size and offer some padding. They live in a think tank backpack with my gear, ready-to-go.

On my primes I use lens wraps. Either domke or custom ones. They all live in a domke or thinktank bag and are ready to go. They provide a little extra padding when getting bumped around in the bag or if I happen to fumble one outside. The eliminate the need for inserts in the bag and save a bit of weight compared to the pouches or barrel cases.

I bet the accessory business is a good one for Olympus. They probably make a good chunk of their camera division's money there. Just look at the pricing on their metal lens hoods! :)