Oly lens is perfect for nature photography!

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I snapped this closely related nocturnal species sneaking through the undergrowth...
6252AD07-0D37-4E56-9945-E5432034A336.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I never put my lenses vertical with the contacts down. The contacts are a weak point.
I store my lenses with the front element down. If the hood can be reversed it is. If not, it's removed.
And with the cap on in a lens pouch, at least. On a shelf with a lip so it's nearly impossible for them to fall over or roll off.

Placing lenses with the element down is also a good habit to help speed up lens changes that require more than two hands.

I never put my lenses vertical with the contacts down. The contacts are a weak point.
I store my lenses with the front element down. If the hood can be reversed it is. If not, it's removed.
And with the cap on in a lens pouch, at least. On a shelf with a lip so it's nearly impossible for them to fall over or roll off.

Placing lenses with the element down is also a good habit to help speed up lens changes that require more than two hands.

The contacts won't touch anything with the rear lens cap on!
BTW - does this have anything to do with the O.P.?

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran

The contacts won't touch anything with the rear lens cap on!
BTW - does this have anything to do with the O.P.?

Yes, the rear lens cap protects the contacts from dirt.
However, the rear lens cap does not protect the contacts from compression due to the weight of the lens resting on the contacts.

And we know that contacts need to protrude to some extent in order to work properly. Why take a chance by putting all of the weight of a lens on its most vulnerable spot?

I'm sure your response will mention that lenses aren't heavy, etc.

You're free to do whatever you want. It's your money.

Phocal

God
However, the rear lens cap does not protect the contacts from compression due to the weight of the lens resting on the contacts.

And we know that contacts need to protrude to some extent in order to work properly. Why take a chance by putting all of the weight of a lens on its most vulnerable spot?

Actually, you are wrong.

https://flic.kr/p/2kJwPK8
https://flic.kr/p/2kJwjpD

Last edited:

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik

You can prove to yourself that this is a misperception by inspecting the inside of the lens foot cover. If contact were being made with the bitter end of the lens or its contacts, there would be scrape marks. I have found none across all my OM, m43 and F-mount covers. Clean as a whistle, every one. The designers thought of that failure mode a long, long time ago.

Latest threads

Top Bottom