1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

oly lens converters only work with mkII kit lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by chromadame, Apr 18, 2011.

1. chromadame

chromadame Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 25, 2011
    Does anyone know if and why it doesn't work with the mk1 14-42 lenses? I was hoping I could buy these to encourage me to use my kit lens.

2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    The mkII kit lens has a filter thread diameter of 37 mm vs. 40.5 mm for the mkI. I suppose you simply can't cover the mkI front lens with a converter.

Cheers,

3. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    The macro converter at least doesn't have a screw thread - it's a bayonet type mount (as is the included adaptor to attach it to the kit lens). And the mark 1 kit lens doesn't have the bayonet reception.
    The macro converter's glass is 52mm wide - so no problem covering the mark 1 lens.
    There may be other reasons they don't want it used/can't be used on the mark 1.

But I'll let you into a secret - I tried a +4 close up filter just held in front of my 40-150 (I don't have the thread adaptor yet) and that crude test indicated that it might yield a better result than the Olympus macro adaptor. The +4 does significantly improve the macro capability of the kit lens on which I can fit it (well beating the 40-150 with macro (note the +4 doesn't magnify the image by 4 times)). And how much did the +4 cost on Ebay? £2.99 (about £5 all in with the thread adaptor I needed).
    Maybe more on this later after I've tested the 150 lens with the cheap +4.

4. chromadame

chromadame Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 25, 2011
    thank you. how do i get the little so-and-so thanked user for this?

5. ddegomez

ddegomez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    Close up filters are very cheap but a major drawback to them is chromatic aberration. The center of the frame may be fine, but in the corners you'll see rainbow artifacts.

6. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Two of the test shots with the Olympus converter I took showed shocking aberration. To the extent it turned the a blue box purple(see below). So I wouldn't count on it for an improvement there over cheap filters.

Both shots in daylight.
    Here's the shot I took using the cheapo filter on the kit lens:
    View attachment 162558

And the Olympus converter on 40-150 at full zoom:
    5634874035_e9c84cb0fb_z.

• Like Like x 1
  7. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Just get a canon 500D or 250D closeup lens, and mount them on a longer zoom like the 40-150 or 45-200. 58mm thread for the 45-200 and 52mm thread for the 40-150 or 14-150. You can also look at the B+W with 2 or 4 diopter. 4 with the shorter zoom, 2 with a longer zoom.

8. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Why not extension tubes on a legacy lens?

9. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    Close-up filters

The simple 1-element close-up filters are decent, but if chromatic aberration is a concern, you can use higher-end achromatic filters. These are typically 2 bonded lenses in a filter assembly. I'm not sure of which the new Olympus add-on lens is, but there are many other choices.

Some of the common ones are Canon 500D, Nikon 5T and 6T, and Olympus B-Macro lenses. Many more are listed on this site: Currently Available 2 Element (Achromatic) Close-up Lenses

These are optically excellent and paired with a good 50mm manual focus lens (or even the kit zoom) they provide high quality macro.

THey are so small and light that I pack one whenever I don't have my 50mm f2 macro lens with me, "just in case".

10. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    With a 50mm the canon 250D is the better option, the 4 diopter are very helpful to get up close. With the 500D with 2 diopter complement the lens of 70mm or longer with the mag of the lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.