1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

oly kodak simulations

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by oly.sol, Jan 11, 2016.

1. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    i've heard a lot about olympus colors, the colors olympus cameras produced when they used kodak sensors. given the success/interest in fuji film simulations, i wonder why oly haven't created something similar. thoughts?

2. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    I was wondering the same thing for quite some time.
    If Olympus were able to provide some "Art Filter" that would make the colours of my E-M1-photos look like those of my E1 I'd pay for that. :)

One theory I have is that for those colours the additional external white balance sensor was helpful. The four thirds DSLRs had that sensor (at least the pro-bodies?). I don't know of any m43 camera that has one of those. But it's just a theory anyway. Not sure if that was one of the contributing factors...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    If I understand correctly, the WB sensor on DSLRs is just an image sensor, which is small and has low MPs, so theoretically mirrorless cameras already are using an image sensor, no need then to add an external WB sensor.

4. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    The drawback of leaving out the additional external WB-sensor is that the camera has no way of telling if it's looking at a yellow object under white light or at a white object under very warm light. With the additional WB-sensor it can tell the difference.

This is not always necessary, yet I found auto-whitebalance on the E1 to be the most accurate I've seen. (I rarely considered auto-whitebalance as an option on my previous cameras)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  5. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    here's a related question, too: any change oly will go back to using kodak sensors or sensors made by the company the kodak sensor division became?