Oly Kit Lens on G5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DynaSport, Aug 10, 2013.

1. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Ok, I couldn't help myself and I ordered one of those G5s for 239.99, but of course it is a body only deal. So, I was actually planning to buy a lens next and this took a chunk out of my lens fund. I currently have the Oly 14-42 II R kit lens as my walk around lens on my E-PM1. I assume this lens will work fine on the G5, but here is my question.

Is it worth it to pick up a used P14-45 for less than $200 to use on the G5, or should I just stick with the Oly kit lens and put that $200 toward a prime? I find the Oly kit lens fine for general usage on the E-PM1, but of course it doesn't have OIS like the Pan does. I'm not sure how important that is to me, as I used Canon DSLRs for years with IS in standard zooms.

Anyway, your thoughts will be appreciated. I guess my plan now is to just get the body and try the Oly and see what I think, but I'm sure there are some on this board with more knowledge/experience with this situation than I have.

2. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    If I were in your shoes, using the G5 (great camera, BTW) I'd put the Oly 14-42 for sale on eBay and replace it with the Pany 14-45... for the OIS, the great build quality, and the great imaging the 14-45 is capable of.

Then, determine what focal lengths/lenses you might use the most with additional lenses.

In the meantime and for a long time to come, the Pany 14-45 will serve up magnificent images for you, in a very useful range of focal lengths, with the benefit of OIS for times when that will of helpful to you. The Pany 14-45 is one lens that has stood the test of time magnificently. If I could only have 1 lens in this system, it would be the 12-35 and if that option was out, it would be the 14-45. For the $200 it's a top choice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.