1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly jpegs are hard to beat

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    After shooting with my new Panasonic g5 for a few days, I decided to compare its results with a recent series from my "old" Oly ep3. The ergonomics of the g5 are wonderful, but, I prefer the ep3's jpegs. These were taken with the Oly ep3, Rokinon 7.5 and Panasonic 20/1.7.

Thai Grata is conveniently located in a nearby shopping center.
    P7082231%20mr.

The interior is spacious and clean, and they offer some of the best Thai food I've ever tasted.
    P7082229%20mr.

Their business has flourished, perhaps due to the tasteful offering they leave outside for the gods every day.
    P7082227%20mr.

But as good as their food is, it's hard to match a ham and cheese on wheat from Ericks Deli. :tongue:
    P7092247%20mr.

2. Batfink

Batfink New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2011
    Newcastle Australia
    Yes they are very nice, care to share your E-P3 settings for Jpegs?
    Thanks

3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I think even Nikon doesn't compete and certainly not Canon in the jpg department. Panasonic has gotten much better (points for "most improved", lol) but really I still think everybody is playing catch-up to Oly.

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I don't know, John, some of those Fuji JPEGs I've seen posted here and elsewhere look like they give Olympus a run for its money. That X-E1 is looking more appealing every day especially since Fuji keeps adding features via firmware.

sent with my phone...please excuse the typos

5. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Actually that's not a bad point. Fuji has been known for some peculiarities related to the X-Tran sensor layout though. I don't know as they are completely resolved but I still have to agree that the Fuji's do turn out some great stuff. I wasn't even thinking about them when I wrote my first response.

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    From what I understand the peculiarities you speak of effect primarily RAW manipulation, but perhaps someone with first-hand experience with an X-Trans Fuji can weigh in.

sent with my phone...please excuse the typos

7. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Yeah, I'm not sure either. I remember it being a problem, but not how -- maybe it was just the crappy RAW converters that first came out.

8. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    I shoot in aperture priority mode, matrix metering, and standard jpg setting. Afterwards I do some modest finishing touches in Photoshop.

9. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I loved the OM-D (and E-PL3) which I both owned. I initially shot with JPEG on my E-PL3 and was plenty happy with it except I would run into noise problems at ISOs above 800. I switched to RAW after picking up the OM-D so can't comment on JPEG performance in the newer generation Sony sensor. On the other hand, dynamic range and high ISO performance in the OM-D RAW files rocked.

I've sinced tried the Fuji X-E1. While I still shoot RAW, being well aware of the suboptimal X-Trans RAW conversion issue, I've opted to instead use the in-camera converter then edit the JPEG in LR. So far, I've noticed 2 things with Fuji JPEGs... 1) Noise was very well controlled even at ISO 3200 thru 6400. 2) And auto WB just works really well relative to the OM-D. So I agree that Oly JPEGs are hard to beat. Then again, I think the Fuji JPEGs do edge them out in the high ISO and auto WB departments.