Oly Image stabelization vs Sony A7 II claim

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just my two cents.

Minolta was the first to market (2 axis) in body sensor based image stabilization in 2003 (about the same time they merged with Konica). Sony purchased Konica Minolta in 2006.

So its not like Sony has no experience with the technology nor lack in R&D resources to develop its own 5 axis IBIS system.

AlanU

Mu-43 Veteran
I see the benefits of body stabilization. For the video folks this is a great feature. For small form factor camera's using shorter focal lengths really do not need image stabilization as long as the iso performance can provide fast shutter speeds to stop action.

For still photographers monitoring shutter speed seems like an imperative technique. I have used a non stabilized 24-70mm lens for years with very little issues of motion blur. When the light is "bad" I'll grab a prime for those situations. Fast shutter speeds have prevented motion blur. This is something image stabilization cannot prevent.

For longer focal length tele zooms I think stabilization "on lens" is more ideal in dealing with hand shakes. As the lens gets very long it simply becomes a multiplier of any camera movement. With a canon newer generation 70-200f/2.8 IS I've shot 1/15 second shutter speed with tack sharp images.

I wouldn't complain about any type of in body stabilization. This is a great benefit to anyone but faster shutter speeds is far more important to me. However I'm more into stills and not video.

DigitalD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
How would you compare the sound to the E-M1?

I would say loudness is just nearly the same but the Sony has a higher pitched clap. So the em1 seems just slightly softer because of the lower tone. Does that make sense?

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think you've made a valid point Jonathan. And the IBIS on my E-P5 is barely audible (faint whisper) and then only if you put the camera near your ear. I bet the Sony IBIS is going to be much more audible than the Olympus. 4 times larger sensor will probably be 4 times more audible.

Like Usayit mentioned, it's not like Olympus invented IBIS. Sony's had it in their cameras for years (thanks to Minolta, who were the first to bat), and Pentax has it as well. Expanding it to '5 axes' like Oly did mostly seems like logical sense to me.

I like the direction the Alpha series is heading, but I'm waiting another generation or so before upgrading, I think; the rumoured next breakthrough in sensor tech, for example. We haven't really seen anything massively better in the past 2-3 years now, with the D800E/A7R sensor still pretty much ruling the roost in FF sized land.

Latest threads

Top Bottom