Oly going backward on Panoramas?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by thearne3, Aug 6, 2011.

1. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I rarely use Panorama, but I got spoiled using my wifes' xz-1: the sequential shots of a panorama are shown - so you can easily line up the next shot. Not so on the E-P3. Pure guess work with a grid. Must be stitched in Olympus Viewer. Why the primitive approach? :confused:
  2. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    totally agreed...it's a really average panorama function.. better off just switching to manual and doing it using different gridlines
  3. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I love Olympus but often their new camera releases have a few elements that leave me scratching my head. I call it the two steps forward, one step back approach. It seems like every new camera has a couple of features that make you say, "Awesome!" and a few missing or less-than-perfect features that make you say, "Awe $#it."

I still don't understand why the premium E-P3 has 3fps burst shooting but the cheaper E-PL3 has 5fps.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I believe the reason for this was the move away from XD cards. It used to be that all Olympus DSLRs could do in-camera Panoramic stitching but only with the XD card. The XD card had the extra processing power to stitch these panoramas together automatically.
    The Point-and-Shoots on the other hand, seemed to have no problem doing it even after the XD card was removed from the equation... Probably because of the smaller sensor size?
  5. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    No, that was just an artificial limitation so they would try to sell you some XD cards. You still had to stitch them in olympus master, they just disabled the panorama function entirely if you tried to use a CF card.

Needless to say, I never tried the panorama function on my E-510, and I was pretty disappointed yesterday when I tried it on my E-PL1. Sony and Samsung really have it figured out, it works great on my PnS and my phone.
  6. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    i agree. just got my ep3 yesterday and i don't like the assignment of the buttons. why is it that you can't assign ael to one of the fn so i had to use the record button. then i can reassign the record button to one of the fn. wtf!!!
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't have the E-P3, but this just sounds like Fn button swap, which is something that has been with Olympus cameras since the E-System DSLRs. It means that either of the buttons (Fn or AEL) can do the same thing depending on which is more comfortable for your hand positioning. It may be more round-about than having the button directly programmable before the swap, but in the end I don't see how it makes any difference whatsoever. The results are the exact same.