Oly gear for podcasting?

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just wondering if anyone at mu-43 is using their Oly gear for podcasting.
I’m looking at various setups as I embark on the world of podcasting and while there’s a plethora of videos on podcasting itself out there, not many, if any deal with setups using Oly gear.

I’m ok for:
- lighting : several soft boxes
- computer : MBPro or iMac or iPad Pro
- software : FCPro on macs and LumaFusion on iPad with GarageBand iMovie on both, but leaning towards LogicPro on Mac

Still need:
- microphone : still debating but it may come down the the new Shure mic
- sound recorder : Sound Devices, Mix-Pre II - 6
I’d be using either Oly em1.2 and/or em5.2 for video recording

Podcast recording : (I will have remote guests and co-hosts) so, I’m considering using riverside.fm, however they only use Chrome and I’m not a big fan, and one of the co-hosts will not us it - so looking for alternatives, including using Zoom for visual but record locally then upload sound files to a common DropBox folder I create for cohosts and guests. Using Zoom would mean not being able to use the video but at least by recording locally, then uploading to my DB the sound would be top quality WAV files.

Podcast hosting : BuzzSprout seems to leading the pack so far.

On site podcast recording with video/audio output the goal: will be using the Sound Device MixPre with Seinhausser Laval over mics

Any thoughts on what you might change to this setup?

Please feel free to post your own setups, including your hosts and/or recording options.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
One note about Zoom - if you record locally, you get really low resolution, something less than 720p if I remember correctly. You get a slight bump in quality (720p) if you record to the Zoom cloud and then download the files.

I've been doing short Zoom interviews for the past year. I've got an old Lumix GH1 (clean HDMI output) connected to a Hauppauge HD PVR Pro 60. I have a lavalier mic (Shure?) connected to it as well, and the PVR is then connected via Thunderbolt to my Windows PC. I'm using a $20 shop light for my key and a 25-year-old Ikea desk lamp for my fill lol. Editing is in Premiere Pro.

Here's a sample of what I'm getting:

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks John
You just have a reasonably good internet connection cuz the video doesn’t appear to have much clipping. Mine usually isn’t that good!
Do you record your audio on your own machine and what about your guest audio. Does it get recording on their machine then uploaded so some cloud somewhere?

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
One note about Zoom - if you record locally, you get really low resolution, something less than 720p if I remember correctly. You get a slight bump in quality (720p) if you record to the Zoom cloud and then download the files.

I've been doing short Zoom interviews for the past year. I've got an old Lumix GH1 (clean HDMI output) connected to a Hauppauge HD PVR Pro 60. I have a lavalier mic (Shure?) connected to it as well, and the PVR is then connected via Thunderbolt to my Windows PC. I'm using a $20 shop light for my key and a 25-year-old Ikea desk lamp for my fill lol. Editing is in Premiere Pro.

Here's a sample of what I'm getting:

How are you powering the camera?

--Ken

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
How are you powering the camera?

--Ken
Good question Ken.
In my case I’ve done a fair bit of video work but it’s always been with shorter takes so if I run out of battery power it’s entirely on me for not paying attention and swapping out batteries (learned once the hard way)
I don’t anticipate running longer than 40 minutes for video at my end and truthfully I’m hoping to tether to the MBPro and record the video and audio (separate tracks) direct to the MBPro. Having said that I think there’s a max recording time on the Oly cameras??

SilverShutter

Mu-43 Regular
Good question Ken.
In my case I’ve done a fair bit of video work but it’s always been with shorter takes so if I run out of battery power it’s entirely on me for not paying attention and swapping out batteries (learned once the hard way)
I don’t anticipate running longer than 40 minutes for video at my end and truthfully I’m hoping to tether to the MBPro and record the video and audio (separate tracks) direct to the MBPro. Having said that I think there’s a max recording time on the Oly cameras??
When you output the feed through HDMI you aren't actually recording, but rather outputing the live view without any info on it. So the time limit doesn't apply, it can run as long as the battery lasts. That's how I do it with my EM10ii anyway.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
For power during long sessions a battery grip is good to have, specially if the camera first uses the battery in the grip then automagically switches to the in camera battery, now you have lots of time to switch out the battery in the grip. You could possibly get endless recording this way with enough batteries.

Next suggestion is to get a dummy battery with AC/DC converter, now the only limit is if your power line goes down.
I got a Raeisusp DC Drive Cable for my G80, maybe they make one for Oly?

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Next suggestion is to get a dummy battery with AC/DC converter, now the only limit is if your power line goes down.
I got a Raeisusp DC Drive Cable for my G80, maybe they make one for Oly?

Some new dummy batteries (also known as DC couplers) come with a 5V USB mains adapter which means that you can also power them with any USB power bank on the move.

(try searching for something like "Foto4easy BLS-5 DC Coupler Dummy Battery" to get an idea of what they look like)

DC coupler is a good name because all they do is feed camera with external 8,4V DC current through a hollow battery shell.

Latest camera bodies support usb power directly but this is unfortunately a pretty recent feature.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Some new dummy batteries (also known as DC couplers) come with a 5V USB mains adapter which means that you can also power them with any USB power bank on the move.

(try searching for something like "Foto4easy BLS-5 DC Coupler Dummy Battery" to get an idea of what they look like)

Latest camera bodies support usb power directly but this is unfortunately a pretty recent feature.
The Raeisusp DC Drive Cable is just like that, it has a USB connector to go into the wall wart or you could use a power bank, but the power bank needs to give ~3A, and that is rare. (This is for the Pana G80). For the Oly it might be better or worse.
I would also recommend combining a battery grip and a DC coupler. If power goes off you have grace to finish.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I don't know anything about Podcasting but I would think that recording locally on your computer and do all editing locally before sending to the net or cloud would be the preferred way.
The Pana GH series seems to be made for this kind of usage.
Trying to record directly to the cloud seems like bad practice, you loose control.

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't know anything about Podcasting but I would think that recording locally on your computer and do all editing locally before sending to the net or cloud would be the preferred way.
The Pana GH series seems to be made for this kind of usage.
Trying to record directly to the cloud seems like bad practice, you loose control.
I probably stated that poorly. Reference to the cloud was meant to say record locally then upload the file to whatever cloud (ie DropBox, iCloud) that I set up so that o can download all the raw files and edit on my own machine.
Riverside.fm does this for you, but charges for it, and they use Chrome which will be a no-go with at least one or two of my co-hosts/regular guests.
So I’m looking to do this through jerryrigging... I’d prefer something more like riverside.fm but that also has more browser options or an app (they have a beta mobile app I’m considering but it only works on the iPhone, not the iPad, and the latter obviously usually has more storage). So, because my initial emphasis will be on quality audio I may use something like Zoom or Skype to make contact and find a way to allow guests to do local recording (pretty easy with microphones, headphones and a few sound setting adjustments).
In future I’m hoping for safari or duck duck go options with riverside.fm or a few others. Has something to do with the browser engines.
The reason I, wanting to have video available initially is because I believe guests will offer a better interview if they can see the person who is asking the questions.

Real Name
Mike
I think the M5.2 doesn't have clean HDMI out as an option (live view outputted over HDMI always has some HUD / overlay on it, though you can reduce the amount of stuff by a lot).

This Olympus page claims only M1.3, M1.2, M1X, and M5.3 have clean HDMI out. So maybe go with the M1.2?
https://learnandsupport.getolympus....mpus/streaming-video-with-your-olympus-camera

Whereas some relatively cheap and older Panasonic models have clean HDMI out. I think it's likely one of the several reasons why Panasonic has had more of a reputation for video.

If all you're doing is recording internal to the device, that's a different matter.

SilverShutter

Mu-43 Regular
I think the M5.2 doesn't have clean HDMI out as an option (live view outputted over HDMI always has some HUD / overlay on it, though you can reduce the amount of stuff by a lot).

This Olympus page claims only M1.3, M1.2, M1X, and M5.3 have clean HDMI out. So maybe go with the M1.2?
https://learnandsupport.getolympus....mpus/streaming-video-with-your-olympus-camera

Whereas some relatively cheap and older Panasonic models have clean HDMI out. I think it's likely one of the several reasons why Panasonic has had more of a reputation for video.

If all you're doing is recording internal to the device, that's a different matter.
M10.2 has clean HDMI output, you just have to keep the Info button pressed for a couple of seconds during live view. It's possible the M5.2 may do like that as well.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Photos of my Zoom setup:

1620064413197.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1620064431969.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom