1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly-FL600R Wireless - Next to camera work?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by andrew00, Nov 2, 2012.

1. andrew00

andrew00 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2010
    Hey,

I'm new to my OM-D so thought I'd ask here.

I've got the FL-14 flash, which atm is doing a good job, I'm pondering the FL600R flash for something a bit meatier.

I was wondering how it works with the OM-D wireless, specifically I'm planning on using it mostly with a flash bracket, perhaps the Oly FL-BK04 but probably the Custom Brackets Mini-RC that I have that already and they seem pretty similar (CB Mini-RC - Custom Brackets)

Will I need to get a sync cable for the flash as it will be side by side with my OM-D, or can I use it wireless and therefore save all of that?

I'm thinking it depends whether the OM-D/FL-600R need line of sight or not?

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    You'll need to trigger the remote with either another 600r or the supplied flash. The remote does need to see the trigger flash although in some small rooms the signal may bounce off a wall or something.

The most reliable solution for a flash on a bracket is a short remote cable. You can use canon ones as the pins line up perfectly. They're cheap on eBay.

Gordon

3. andrew00

andrew00 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2010
    A, shame, I was thinking that might be the case, unfortunately! Cheers.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Your FL-600R will trigger perfectly on the bracket with wireless using the included clip-on commander. It will have 0 problems recognizing the signal from that trigger from the position of a flash bracket.

Personally, I prefer a short sync cable and manual settings, but that's just how I shoot. I find TTL to be more of an annoyance with my more extensive lighting system. However, optically triggering a bracket flash from the clip-on, pop-up, or shoe-mounted flash is absolutely not a problem.

5. jmw

jmw Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Ned: you can also use the flash in manual mode with wireless and control the flash power from the RC screen.

I'll say the FL-600R is really good at picking up the optical trigger signal. I've set it up with the flash and wireless eye pointed at a shoot-through umbrella. With the light stand completely behind the camera and pop-up flash, it always fired. That was with the trigger flash setting at low.