1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly Fisheye 8mm 1.8 or Oly 7-14 2.8 for a trip to Jasper?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ig7, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    I am planning to be in Jasper and surrounding area in September and debating between Oly 8mm fisheye or 7-14 for the landscape/mountain shots. Any advice?
    Thanks

2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    What other lenses are you planning to take? I'd say the 7-14 is more flexible to use, but if you have a 12-40, you may get away with that and the FE.

3. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    I have 12-35, 35-100 as well as Oly 14-150 and 75-300. I was thinking of putting the 14-150 or 75-300 on my E-M5 and giving it to my husband to handle as a point and shoot for wild life and such. My friend offered me his 7-14 2.8 pro for the trip, hence the dilemma between the Oly 8mm fisheye or the 7-14 for the E-M1

4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I would recommend the 7-14; it's an all-rounder as far as super wide zooms are concerned. The 7mm angle of view is extremely wide (114•) and narrows to 75•, which is good for general wide angle use.

5. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've got both. When I was buying the first of the two, I wondered which one I should buy. I wanted an ultra-wide angle and the 8mm is wider than the 7-14, even after de-fishing, but I went for the 7-14 because I thought that overall it would be more flexible and I'd use it more and I've found that for me, that assessment was correct . Some months later I bought the 8mm fisheye. For me the fisheye is a "fun lens", and an expensive one at that. You can defish in order to get a straight ultra-wide angle image but I prefer the results from the 7-14 at 7mm if I don't want fisheye distortion.

If you're going to only use a fisheye occasionally for fisheye effects, there are cheaper fisheyes out there that work well. If you're more interested in a rectilinear wide angle presentation go for the 7-14 rather than the fisheye. If you really want a good fisheye and you want autofocus, weather sealing, and an f/1.8 maximum aperture, and you're going to be taking a lot of fisheye shots, more than the number of rectilinear shots you'd take with the 7-14, then go for the fisheye.

I think they're both good lenses but they are expensive lenses for M43 and they have very different uses and advantages. Buy on the basis of what you're going to use it for, how you're going to use it, and whether you want fisheye distortion or a rectilinear image. If you're thinking of a lens in this focal length range then one of these is likely to work for you but depending on what you want it for and how you're going to be using it, one lens is more likely to suit your needs than the other. You can probably do great shots in Jasper with either but it's a lot to spend on a lens if all you want the lens for is a particular trip to Jasper. Give a lot of consideration on how you can use the lens after you're home from the trip because I think it's a waste to spend that much on a lens and then use it only for a single trip. I'd make my choice on that issue more on what I could use it for long term than on what I could do with it in a single trip to Jasper. I'd consider renting rather than buying if I was only concerned with using the lens on that trip and not continuing to use it after I got home.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Very good points from everyone. I do have the fisheye and can borrow the 7-14. The decision is which one to bring with me considering I am trying to limit the number of lenses to carry with me. I think I will stick with 7-14. Also, if anyone traveled there, which tele to leave on the other camera? 14-150 or 75-300?

7. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    From my two trips to Jasper(2006/2014), I think that the 14-150 should suffice and complement your 7-14 really well, but you will occasionally want the extra reach. The 75-300II is so light for its reach that if it was me I would probably end up carrying it anyways.

[Edit]
    Just to add, it was my visit to Banff and Jasper in 2014 which started me down the road of looking at m43 for its smaller telephoto options. The 75-300II was a big part of my decision to move from Nikon DSLRs to m43. No regrets so far.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  8. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Good to know, thank you

9. obsolescence

obsolescence Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2016
    Los Angeles
    John Gaylord
    I suggest you save your money and get the Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye instead of the Olympus. It's very small and light and BTW it's good for panoramic VR.

10. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    The funny thing is, I did have the Rokinon, sold it and got the oly 8mm fisheye planning to use it as a wide angle for a European trip, which got cancelled. Played with it but got tired of having to defish almost every time. Loved the autofocus but dont use it enough to justify keeping it. i was actually thinking about getting another Rokinon if it comes up on the forum before my trip

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  11. obsolescence

Jan 24, 2016
    Los Angeles
    John Gaylord
    Defishing is a piece 'o cake with RAW processing in DxO OpticsPro. Just select Fisheye correction and dial in 84. Done. The fisheye lens enables capturing a much wider angle of view than the 7-14, however it takes more care when capturing to avoid weird perspective distortions (and fingers/feet in the shot); and after defishing it's often necessary to crop from some edges (or retouch) to get rid of the smearing caused by stretching the image. Shooting with High Res Shot on the Olympus EM5 MkII or Pen-F will help, if the scene permits.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Maybe eventually when the prices go down a bit i will get the Oly 8mm again. That autofocus is soooo nice :)

13. obsolescence

Jan 24, 2016
    Los Angeles
    John Gaylord
    Autofocus is a waste of money for my applications. Because DOF is so great, rarely is focusing needed with a fisheye lens, unless you're shooting extreme close-ups. I have my Rokinon 7.5mm lens's focus ring taped against the barrel along with the aperture ring which is set for the ideal sharpness across the frame f/5.6-8, sharp from about 2 ft. to infinity. I determined these exact positions through testing and I never have needed to change them. YMMV of course.

14. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Good to know. I am hoping someone lists one for sale here