Oly EPL-2 and Vintage Lenses M43

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by michael68, Apr 1, 2011.

1. michael68

michael68 Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    Hi all,
    May I know what are some of the good vintage lenses at affordable prices that I can use with EPL-2? Would Pentax Takumar lens be a good choice? I am looking for a small lens with wide aperture that would allow me to capture in low light conditions.

Thanks in advance!

2. yoshi

yoshi Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 29, 2011
    Hi, saw that you have pany 20mm. Isn't that wide and small enough for low light? I am not sure you can get any smaller than that especially with vintage lenses.

3. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
  4. kubie548

kubie548 New to Mu-43

Apr 1, 2011
    Takumar lenses

Pentax Takumar, Auto-Takumar, Super-Takumar, Super-Multi-Coated Takumar and SMC Takumar lenses are excellent choices for m43. They are high quality both optically and mechanically, among the smallest 35mm SLR lenses ever made, and right now going cheap.
    Fast? Nope. The only wide, fast lens was the 35mm f/2.0, available in an early "large" version and a later "small" version. Both are good, though the smaller one would be easier to use with M43. Often Takumar lenses are found with sticky auto diaphragms; these are very inexpensive, and the sticky diaphragm doesn't concern a M43 user!
    Watch for worn lenses that are loose or stiff-focusing. It isn't worth fixing most Takumar lenses today.
    Screw mount (M42) to M43 adapters are cheap and plentiful. Look for adapters with a "stop-down" ledge that pushes in the auto-diaphragm pin - then you don't have to be constantly checking the "Auto-Manual" switch on each lens.
    Good luck!

5. michael68

michael68 Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    Thanks for the tips. I am just starting to play with the Pany 20mm and was amazed at the low light capability. Hope to use this as a walk about lens first before moving on to the other m43 lenses!

6. michael68

michael68 Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    For portrait with good bokeh, would Canon FD 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 give good bokeh results? I think I may have one of these lenses lying somewhere in my dehumifier box. May I know if there are any good M43 adaptor for these Canon lens that will still allow use of adjustment for aperture? Thanks in advance!

7. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    Canon FD lenses are very sharp ( my personal appreciation that sometimes they are too sharp for portrait use) , the bokeh on the 1.8 that i own is not stunning I haven't had the chance to use the 1.4.

Ilia Koltsov - Canon nFD 50 1.8

8. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Adapted Lenses

Frankly, it is nice that m4/3 bodies can adapt to use older glass. But, all be said and done, the best glass, to me anyway, is the native stuff.

I would caution one to go slow on the adapted lens bandwagon, as they really are limited.

I have 3 or 4 Nikon lenses and have yet to really get serious about their possible returns, all the hype etc noted.