1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OLY (EP3) and Apple Aperture

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MexicoMik, Mar 29, 2012.

1. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    As I get more and more comfortable (and learn more) about the EP-3 I am now trying to sort out the best mode to shoot in. On my Nikon DLSRs I have normally shot in Raw and did some slight processing. IMO, Aperture does a wonderful job with Nikon Raws. There is a preset (enhance) that, in virtually every case, makes a Nik Raw exactly like I want it.

However, I have found so far that I prefer the Oly Jpegs out of the camera to anything I have been able to come up with processing the Oly Raw with Aperture. I suppose I should be happy with that since the Jpegs take much less storage but some part of me has a hard time shooting/storing the "lesser" image data wise. I know I can shoot jpeg+raw but that seems like a waste of space/processing power to me. I can see some improved shadow detail available in raw at 200% enlargement but that's pixel peeping and has nothing to do with looking at an actual image. In an on-screen image viewed as taken or slightly cropped, there is no visible difference.

Anybody have any tips for Aperture (3 - which has OLY Raw converter) with Oly raw or is just an unalterable fact that Oly does better with the Jpegs than anything I can do with the raw files?

Thanks

2. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    As you're finding out shooting Raw does not make the photos better. It's up to you to learn how the camera responds to different situations, what your personal tastes for treating your files are and learning how Aperture operates.

Stick it out, learn about Aperture and shoot a lot of photos. If you're not shooting you're not learning but if you're only shooting jpegs you're not nearly getting the most out of your camera.

I shoot RAW + small jpeg with my Pen. The jepg settings I like to use are -2 on contrast, saturation and sharpness. I shoot jpegs just to post to Instagram but when I want to get a good image from my camera I process the raw.

Learn to use the brushes with Aperture and also study photography basics if you have not learned already.

Time and effort leads to success. Good luck.

3. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Well my experience with Aperture is pretty limited and I only used with files from an E620. I did a 30-day demo of both Aperture 3 and LR3. While I liked the Aperture 3 interface it seemed much slower than LR3 and didn’t seem to do nearly as good a job as LR3 handling E620 raw files. Indeed, I didn’t like the way the images looked at all and thought the OOC jpegs were considerably better than anything I could do in Aperture. I opted for LR3 and will upgrade to LR4 shortly.

4. Tom in Delaware

Tom in Delaware Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 15, 2012
    While I prefer the color of the Aperture processed E-PL1 RAW files, the camera does a much better job of noise processing than Aperture. Right now, I am shooting large normal jpegs and RAW files. The Oly software does a good job of noise processing but is dog slow.

5. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    A Couple of Suggestions

rightens the image I use both C1 Pro 6 and Aperture 3. They both have swings and roundabouts and a bit like you I was concerned about A3's raw interpretation. What I have done to get reasonably close to the jpegs (I am assuming natural with 0 contrast adjustment) is the following:

1. Set Raw Boost to 0. This really dulls down the raw file. So then I
    2. Use a filmic curve derived from one that I picked up from Patrick Laroque's blog ('Dualité' - some good Aperture tips on this). This brightens the image up. Then
    3. I stack a second curve and use the auto RGB function, which sorts out some colour cast problems.

This gets me in the ball park and then it is a case of tweaking black point, recovery, definition and vibrance mostly.

If you want send me a PM and when I get off the train I can email you a preset as a starting point.

I wish A3 had C1's chromatic aberration and purple fringing capabilities and C1 had A3's ease of pulling back blown highlights.

Andrew

6. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    Sorry - bizarre start to post because I can't type on a rather bumpy high speed line!

7. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Thanks I thought it was a great response and I'm going to use it to righten my pics! :)