Oly EM10 continuous focus - fail or functional

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by twmangrove, Sep 1, 2016.

1. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    Hi folks, EM10 newbie here with questions regarding contrast-detect only OMD bodies and continuous focus.
    I am trying to wrap my head around this function and how it might relate to the capture of moving subjects. Not even fast moving subjects. Little kids, maybe a slightly obese dachshund on the go.
    By and large, the Internet and its assorted review sites seem to poo poo the ability of, well, mirrorless cameras in general (with a growing number of exceptions) when it comes to action, yet CAF seems to be a pretty standard feature.
    In Oly's case is it just PR? Can you actually use CAF on an EM10 to photograph kids running around on a soccer pitch? Will it keep up?
    Most recommendations I've seen lean to using SAF. This seems to work well, provided you're not using the Panny 20mm. But what about CAF?
    Has Olympus ever had a rep demonstrate how this might be a useful function? You know, have they actually backed the horse they're racing? And not just with PR images of kids riding a bike with green boxes on their heads.
    I've read the EM5 MkII is actually pretty good for tracking subjects with CAF (not so sure about CAFT). I've never tried it and don't know if it's true. I've also read positive things about Panny and their DFD system.
    The EM10 a cool little camera with pretty decent IQ and some really neat features. But what the heck is up with that CAF thing?

Thanks kindly.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've used GM1, GM5, E-M5, E-M1. IMO plain CDAF on m4/3 is useless for C-AF. Keeper rate is so bad you're better off pumping S-AF.

DFD on Panasonic is supposed to be okay (see CameraStoreTV shoot-out) but I have no personal experience of it. E-M1 with PDAF post firmware v3.0 is again functional, but not great. Keeper rate on both systems appear okay but not really at DSLR standards just yet.

3. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    Thank you wjiang. That's sums up my understanding of the state of things. Just not sure if I was missing something, some secret setting or combination of settings that make magic happen, or if the whole CAF thing for stills is just window dressing.