Oly EM1 - white balance underwater.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nicprussik, Feb 29, 2016.

1. nicprussik

nicprussik New to Mu-43

Feb 29, 2016
    Nicola Faulks
    Hi there, hoping someone can help me. I have the Oly OMD EM1 camera. It had huge flash issues when I first got it, so it went back to the shop and had its guts replaced. Now that works fine. My next "issue" is the white balance. I do a lot of underwater photography and am using full manual mode. I can not get the camera to accept a white balance adjustment below 8 metres depth (in the Red Sea) so plenty of light.
    Can anyone help me out with this? I go to white balance manual, press manual selection, photograph my white slate and just get the message "Error NG" I then try again and again and again, and still "NG". I can't seem to find any hidden settings, I just don't seem able to do manual white balance below 8 metres!
    Shooting in RAW and doing the white balance on my PC afterwards, just seems like cheating!!
    Any suggestions or help hugely appreciated....

2. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    If you did shoot raw and white balance afterwards, what temp would you be setting it to? I'm just wondering if it's thinking the WB is beyond it's limits ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    The latest firmare update had an underwater WB setting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    No there's not. Plenty of blue and green, perhaps, and some yellow, but the red end of the spectrum will be severely reduced. Water, even water that appears "clear" visually, is a strong filter for deep reds. You are likely encountering a situation where the camera can see enough red to successfully WB. Some RAW converters might have a somewhat greater adjustment range, but a some depth there will be no significant amount of red light.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And this is the description for it found here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. nicprussik

nicprussik New to Mu-43

Feb 29, 2016
    Nicola Faulks
    Hi all, thank you for your comments. I have decided that just shooting in RAW and altering post diving is probably the way forward. I agree that there isn't as much light at 8 metres in the sea, and red is missing(is); but other makes of camera seem to manage quite happily at this depth with the manual white balance on the white/grey card.
    I have been using the fish white balance, as I noticed it was an option.... it kind of works, but I think I will just have to rely on good old RAW files and post processing. Shame really, as at 6 metres using the manual WB the photos looked great!!