Oly EM1 DOF preview on shutter half-press ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Livnius, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia

Just a quick question.

I know there is the DOF preview function which can be assigned to any number of buttons, but wondering, is it possible to set DOF preview to the shutter button on half-press for example ? Would be nice to get have this prior to taking the shot...as it stands, I'm only seeing the DOF after the shot has been taken.
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Haven't seen an option for that.

Biofos.com has a lot of the settings documented for the E-M1, and a link to a spreadsheet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Yeah I've seen the Biofos settings...certainly helped on a few points.

I guess I'm wondering if there is a way, a setting of some sort, something along the lines of a constant preview that shows in real time (or with a shutter half press) the effects of aperture changes on DOF.
  4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I can't remember ever seeing a camera that does this (one that has auto aperture control) and I'm not sure that it would be a good thing for the EVF to constantly be dimming and brightening, even if it were possible.
  5. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    Not possible and not a good idea. The potentially small aperture would reduce the light needed for focussing accuracy.
    I have the lower front button assigned to it. Works very well.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    The OMD cameras already do this as part of the Live View system. Every once in a while the aperture will chatter up and down a little bit to help with focusing and exposure calculation.

Real-time DOF viewing on the shutter button shouldn't be a big deal - we already get that (with an associated screen brightness boost to compensate) with the way it's programmed now to the DOF button.
  7. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    No, we won't get this feature in the near future.

Because the AF needs as much light as possible. Especially the PDAF pixels of my EM1 are hungry for light.

And we already have some issues with the exposure sequence, for example the 100-300 Panasonic tele or the old FT lenses. Their aperture drive is slow and therefore changing from AF-aperture to exposure-aperture and back costs a lot of time. The continuous drive speed goes down from 6.5 to 4fps. Switching in three steps (preview-aperture, AF-aperture, exposure aperture) would surely make things much worse ...

And the chatter noise we can hear is to keep the exposure time for EVF in certain ranges for flicker reduction. This is yet another requirement on the aperture setting which may conflict with the preview mode.

In short: i don't think we will see this preview mode soon ...

8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't think that it is possible currently, but I see no physical reason why it couldn't be an optional mode ("Half Way Rls with DOF Preview" or somesuch). Currently on an OM-D camera you can hold down the DOF preview button with one finger, and focus and then take your shot with another simultaneously. During focusing the camera will still open up the aperture fully and then return to the selected aperture.

I suppose in the meantime you could always tape down the DOF preview button :smile: