1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OLY-EM-5 - interval or time lapse shooting

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by polarpix, Mar 9, 2014.

1. polarpix

polarpix Mu-43 Regular

I can usual decipher camera manuals but I have to admit defeat this time. I'm trying to set my EM-5 for time lapse shooting or Interval shooting as it's called by some manufacturers. I've read and re-read the manual but can not figure out how to do it. The EM-1 and EM-10 is quite clear but not the EM-5. What am I missing? Can it not do time lapse or am I having another seniors moment where my brains turn to mush :confused:

2. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    I believe the E-M1/10 are different to the E-M5. When I do time lapse/star trails I have to use a remote shutter controller with the anti-shock function set.

3. polarpix

polarpix Mu-43 Regular

Thanks Patrick. I assume from your answer that my EM-5 can't be set for interval shooting. Darn - I wanted to do storm cloud formations at 30 second intervals. At this time of year we have spring storms that move thru quite quickly and we get some interesting formations. Regretfully I'll have to dig out my Nikons - or go and buy the EM-1 :biggrin:

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Or buy a remote with intervallometer on eBay or Amazon.

5. polarpix

polarpix Mu-43 Regular

Thanks Mattia that's a good idea I know my Banker (wife) would agree with you. Off I go to check e-bay.

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    you need a remote shutter cable. It does not have to have the intervalometer function, any cheap cable will work. You will then set shutter shock delay (from 1/8s to 30s) in continuous shooting drive mode. Set the remote shutter to "hold".

• Like Like x 1
  7. BeyondTheLines

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    you don't need an intervallometer really (maybe in some situation it would come in handy), just a cheap remote shutter, mine cost $5 on amazon and works perfectly. Just plug in E-M5 remote shutter into the amazon search engine and I'm sure you'll get plenty of results.

8. BeyondTheLines

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    you beat me to it :thumbup:

9. Nepherim

Nepherim Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2012
    NJ, USA
  10. polarpix

polarpix Mu-43 Regular

My thanks to everyone you've all been a great help. The bad news is that now I don't have an excuse to buy the EM-1. :frown:

11. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I use the Pixel TW-282 wireless remote (with the right cable for the E-M5). You should get it for less than $100.

12. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    If you are more into timelapse and already have a smartphone, maybe TriggerTrap is something for you. If I remember this correctly, there should already be a thread about it in this forum.

13. LCONE

LCONE New to Mu-43

Oct 31, 2012