1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly E-PM1 or Pan GX1?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by davidzvi, Feb 15, 2013.

1. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I've been looking for a Pan 14mm on eBay. There seem to be a lot with bodies, though I'm sure the sellers are thinking of it as the body with a lens. Most seem to be GF2/3. So I figure if I could get one cheap I'd just sell the body cheap and keep the lens.

But there are also a few GX1's. I see no reason to keep one of the GF's, not a fan of the body style which is why I got the E-PM1. But if I actually were to win a GX with the 14mm? Is the GX that much better than the E-PM1? Is the sensor in the GX the E-M5 sensor? :confused:

2. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    GX1 is nice

I've had a GF1/GF2 and now have a GX1. The GX1 is a significant upgrade over the GF1. The sensor of the GX1 is not the sensor of the E-M5 rather is a slightly lessor sensor that the Pansonic G3 and G5. Nevertheless, the GX1 is a big improvement over the GF1/GF2 sensor wise and ergonomics. I have the E-P1 and E-P2 which is a similar sensor the the E-PM1 but I like the pictures much more from the GX-1. The real sleeper of all the cameras mentioned here is the Panasonic G5, which is excellent. But that has a small DSLR form rather than the rangefinder like of the GX and GF series. You can't go wrong with the GX-1.

3. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Yep, the GX1 sensor is better than the EPM1 sensor, but it's not the latest GH3/EM5 sensor. It's the same sensor as the G3. It'll do some better in low light, high ISO situations, but again, not as well as the latest cameras from 2012. Whether or not you'll prefer it to your EPM1 is probably not something I can help you with: there's no accounting for taste.