1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly E-PL5 or E-PL7 or E-M10

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by RVJ, Aug 20, 2015.

1. RVJ

RVJ Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    Saint Louis, MO
    Hello,
    I currently own a Panasonic GF5 with Panasonic Lumix 14-42mm PZ, and Panasonic 45-150mm lenses. I am looking for some upgrade advice. I mostly shoot family, friends, street and sometimes nature. I have been looking around reading up on some of the Olympus m43 cameras and cannot decide which one I should upgrade to.

Oly E-PL5
    Oly E-PL7
    Oly E-M10

Lack of a viewfinder is not a deal breaker. Size wise, these appear to be not too different and I don't want to break the bank on this either.
    Would it be better to buy a used body and keep my lenses or sell them and upgrade to one of these models? Thank you

2. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I have the E-PL6 and E-M10. I use the E-M10 most of the time due to the better controls (I really like dual dials) and the better IBIS (vs E-PL5/E-PL6). The E-M10 EVF hump does make it larger and a tighter fit in my jacket pocket with the O25 attached. This is where the PEN series gets the advantage.

I think your lenses will be fine on any of those bodies but others will have a better idea than me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    At this point I would discount the E-PL5, the E-PL6 is only $299 new, basically same camera with minor updates. But I would still only go that route if money was an issue. The E-PL7 and E-M10 are significant updates in I.S., AF, and the processing engine. While the E-PL6 is a fine camera and I would / have recommended to many looking for a cheap P&S upgrade / entry point to m4/3, I'm not sure upgrade would be how I might describe it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    if you're looking into the e-m10 brand new, and if wifi is not that important, the e-m5 is even less now. :)

5. RVJ

RVJ Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    Saint Louis, MO
    I am assuming you mean the original version and not the mark ii. I will take a look at the M5.

How would the Panny GX7 stack up?

6. gravijaflare

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    yes, the e-m5 mark I. it's 480 usd brand new while the e-m10 with free grip is 500 usd.

i haven't used a gx7 but the gm5 i have probably has about the same image output. and having used an e-m5 along with the gm5, i'm pretty much satisfied with both. ;)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I like more controls and more comfort. From your choices I'd pick the EM-10. Your lenses will work fine on it, but you may find you'd really like a nice general purpose prime like one of the 25's when money is available.

• Like Like x 1
  8. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    FYI The e-m10 looks to be $499 for body only with free grip.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...v207020bu000_om_d_e_m10_mirrorless_micro.html

9. gravijaflare

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. RVJ

RVJ Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    Saint Louis, MO
    Thanks for all the info. I will have to keep an eye out for the 25mm oly or panny primes. Would the Sigma 19mm or 30mm work for price point?

11. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I owned EPL5 and EM10 and would take the latter if those were my only options. On other hand, used EM1's are now just over $600? And may drop even lower with announcement of Mark II, and same goes for rumored EM10-II.
    Do not buy EM10 for $500 - in January they were selling for $400-$425. Just wait for Christmas shopping.

PS: Scratch all above.
    Just keep GM5 - its size is really unique and allows to bring it to venues you've listed. Get used 17mm/f1.8 or 20mm/f1.7 for low light.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Keep your lenses.
    Buy an e-pL7/E-M10 kit with cheapest zoom. Used body maybe : we haven't seen many age problems with these models.
    Test that lens against your own 14-42 and sell the worst one.

13. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    You might even want to consider the Olympus E-P5 and the Panasonic GX7 as they're being discounted these days.

14. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    If in-built viewfinder is not important to you, E-PL7 is a delight.

15. RVJ

RVJ Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    Saint Louis, MO
    I am getting a good deal on the G7 w/ 14-42mm for $599. Would this be a better value than the E-M10?

16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Easy answer.
    If you process RAW the G7 is goo value.
    If you like camera-produced Jpegs (like me) the E-M10 beats the pants off the G7.(This is difficult to explain but easy to demonstrate.)

17. RVJ

RVJ Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    Saint Louis, MO
    Thanks again for all your response. I have more or less decided on the e-m10. I have been able to add a Sigma 19mm to my collection at no cost, though I am looking at adding the Panasonic 20mm or Oly 25mm.

18. gravijaflare

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    if you can, try those lenses first at your local camera shop to see if the autofocus speed is to your liking. the panasonic 20mm, being one of the first lenses for mft, is using previous generation af motor/mechanism, so it can be slow compared to relatively newer lenses like the olympus 25mm.

• Like Like x 1