1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Oly E-P5 still loves the Oly 60mm macro lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zensu, Jul 21, 2014.

1. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    When I first acquired my refurbished Oly E-P5 camera body I was amazed at how instant the Auto-focus was on the Oly 60mm f2.8 macro lens (m43). Setting the focus dial on the lens to its' full range I was expecting a little bit of focus hunting (as was my experience with the E-M5 camera). Instead what I got was instant focus lock from 1:1 to infinity. I am still amazed at how these two seem to work so well together in not only the instant focus acquisition but on the super sharp images they produce together.
    Just got a Nikon ES-1 Slide Copy attachment and several plain screw into the filter threads extension tubes to extend the position of the slide far enough in front of the lens for it to focus at 1:1. Surprisingly I placed these extension tubes between the 60mm macro and the E-P5 and pointed my contraption to an outside window to get daylight illumination and BAM, I get instant Auto-focus locked on! If I move the device to an area with less light it does rack out to infinity then back to acquire focus.
    I'm just blown away by how well my E-P5 seems to love my 60mm macro!
    One very happy camper!

• Like Like x 2
  2. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Bobby,

I'd love to see a couple of shots of your setup with the Nikon ES-1 Slide copy attachment and any samples of what you got with that setup…

thx

3. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I'm new to posting online but I'll give an honest go.
    Here's the 'contraption' , image taken with tablet
    [​IMG]
    And here's a straight OOC JPG
    [​IMG]
    I hope these Flickr images show up after posting because I only see the 'URL' in my posting preview window.

4. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Obviously that didn't work! Let me see if I can figure out how to do this correctly. Please be patient!

5. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Here we go again
    This is a straight OOC JPG. This is exactly the way this old 60s' slide looks. Maybe I should turn off IBIS? The original was taken with my Nikkormat FTN with Nikkor 50mm f1.4 at f1.4
    [​IMG][/url]P7210034 by flippo.bobby, on Flickr[/IMG]
    This is a photo taken of my contraption taken with my tablet/camera.
    [​IMG][/url]contraption by flippo.bobby, on Flickr[/IMG]
    I hope it works this time. Fingers crossed!

• Like Like x 3
  6. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I think I'm going to get some hollow automatic extension tubes to insert between the E-P5 camera body and the 60mm macro and see if I can reduce the size of this contraption by changing the minimum focusing distance of this fantastic lens so that I won't need to have so much extension between the slide holder and front element of the lens.

7. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I don't think that will work.
    Instead they will allow you to get increased magnification so you only copy a small part of the image.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I believe devices to decrease minimum focussing distance for telephoto lenses are achromatic dioptres?

9. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Thanks for reminding me! I've got an old Canon 500D multi-element diopter in an old camera bag that I used to use on my old 75-300 zoom when I shot DX. I'll just need a couple of filter thread size adapters.

10. doug515

doug515 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2014
    Cloverdale California
    The problem with diopters (including your Canon 500D multi-element) is they are not a flat field macro device, meaning the focus plane will be an arch matching the curvature of the front of the diopter. When copying slides (a flat plane) there will be focus fall off in the corners. Your 60 macro, if it is a true macro, is a flat field lens perfectly suited to copy work. Take a close look at the front element on your 60mm lens, it should be flat and the plane of critical focus will match that surface.

• Like Like x 2
  11. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Bobby, you're doing great with your contraption. I have a similar setup using an old Nikon 55mm macro lens with the ES-1, and it makes sharper copies of slides than my slide scanner because I can focus the camera more precisely. I have the Oly 60 on my wish list so I can use autofocus for the job some day.

I don't think you want an extension tube between camera and lens, because then you'll need to bring the slide closer and doing so will crop it. In fact, it looks like you're already cropping the bottom of the slide in the sample you posted. You may need to try adding yet more filter extensions if the ES-1 won't extend any farther, so you can copy the whole slide.

Echoing Doug's advice above, try to avoid using any lenses besides your 60, so your image will be as sharp and undistorted as possible.

Your idea to turn off IBIS is good, because the slide will not move relative to the lens. I also turn ISO down to the camera's base level, and use Aperture mode set to something like f/4 or f/5.6 that I know will be the lens's sharpest, because I don't need to worry about a long shutter.

Daylight is a good light source. Whatever source you use, you can point the empty ES-1 toward it and get a custom white balance, which will minimize color shifts in your copies.

I've found that a lot of my slides were either underexposed or have very dense shadows just because they're slides, so I generally set exposure compensation to +1. I shoot RAW so I can tweak to taste later.

Those are all the tips I can think of. Have fun. It's very satisfying to bring these old images into the digital world where they're so much easier to share.

• Like Like x 1
  12. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Thanks very much for the very excellent advice!
    Bobby