Oly E-P2 + stichin = bitchin

shawngibson

Mu-43 Regular
I lost my original thread on this subject. Mods feel free to combine:)

Here's what I did Today, Panny 20/1.7 and E-P2:

11840627-lg.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

11840625-lg.jpg

11840622-lg.jpg

no work yet, of course...

Mu-43 Legend
What's the benefit of this approach to, say, stepping back a bit?

It seems in the first one, by being a bit closer, you can actually get more shallow DOF, but not sure that applies to the other two.

Now, it could just be that it's a technical challenge and quite fun. I can understand that, but I was just wondering if you get anything more out of IQ by doing this (would it also produce a really hi-res image???)

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
is that done on board the camera or on some third party software? I know you can't stitch on E-pl1, i haven't had any success using the panorama mode on it yet..
i like the first two in particular :)

walt_tbay

Mu-43 Veteran
It seems to me that the major benefit is that you can achieve a higher level of detail in the images because you've stitched together multiple images? In any case, I've always cropped photos that I stitch together using PTGui Pro... It's never occurred to me until now that these look pretty darn good uncropped. Great job Shawn!

shawngibson

Mu-43 Regular
Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

WT21 - for me the 'benefit' is both practical and spiritual - I get to make high-resolution prints with unique perspectives, and I get to spend a lot of time working on a photo, which I find meditative:)

The first shot is a failure - was meant to be very shallow DoF. I guess I'll need to buy a Canon adaptor and use my 85/1.2L to try such shots, and move in even tighter to my subject. And find a better subject LOL...

Kosta - I'm using PSCS5, the 'merge images' command. However, as I get better at this, I'd like to take more control, and use "align" and "blending" in a more manual way.

Ultimately, the goal for me is to be able to do this with the inclusion of HDR, but to date I've never been able to do that successfully.

Here are the shots with some rather tentative work:

11844032-lg.jpg

11844033-lg.jpg

Shawn

Mu-43 Legend
Thanks! I never meant to be dismissive of the pics. I love them, and understand the meditative side. I was just wondering if it was also a way to get shallow dof, because maybe you could be closer to the subject, and therefore focus close, less dof, etc.

They would look cool printed out really large (high res after all) on the wall.

Thanks fornsharing!

shawngibson

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks! I never meant to be dismissive of the pics. I love them, and understand the meditative side. I was just wondering if it was also a way to get shallow dof, because maybe you could be closer to the subject, and therefore focus close, less dof, etc.

They would look cool printed out really large (high res after all) on the wall.

Thanks fornsharing!

Didn't think you were being dismissive:) I think the DoF thing is going to be an issue.

Here's a slightly inspiring attempt from this morning in the rain, with 50/2 Macro wide-open. It's not giving me the way-out of focus look I want. Will have to get EOS adaptor and try 85/1.2 wide open:

11844789-lg.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom