Oly E-P2 or Epm1?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by jimbojones, Jan 31, 2012.

1. jimbojones

jimbojones New to Mu-43

Jan 27, 2012
    If I can get a used E-P2 with kit lens for $250, or a E-PM1 with kit lens for $450. Which would you pick? I'm tempted by the E-P2, but I'm concerned about auto focus speed, and no built in flash. I have a 2 year old and 6 month old that move allot. Want to make sure I can capture the moment...
    I keep thinking with the $200 saved I can put towards a 45mm lens. The $200 is not a deal breaker for me so I don't mind spending it if it will give me more keepers.
    Thoughts?

2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I'm in almost the same boat - but I was choosing between E-PL2 and E-PM1. I too have toddlers. I figured I was able to live with the E-PL1 before and was actually really quite happy with it, so I chose the E-PL2. Plus, I discovered that I really need IBIS, and the IBIS on the E-PM1 is a bit iffy, based on the numerous posts here in the forum. The E-PL2 has a more reliable one. AND, that extra $200 can go a long way towards other purchases.

But again - if money is no object, then why not go for the latest? Faster AF, better AWB. Only things to think about are if E-PM1 is too small for you, and if you need a more reliable IBIS.

3. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I have both.
    I have been using the E PM1 more, but both are great cameras.
    IBIS hasn't been an issue. The E P2 is pretty much the same as the E P1.

4. jimbojones

jimbojones New to Mu-43

Jan 27, 2012
    True but I always look for bang for buck, I just can't help it lol

I thought the E-P2 is closer to the E-PL2 in terms of focusing speed?

5. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    No, the E-P2 is still old-gen. The E-PL2 is the switchover camera which had the better image quality, faster AF, faster operation, etc. The E-P2 is literally just an E-P1 with the hotshoe outlet; a relative letdown in terms of a new model, especially with the E-PL2 being better than it in so many ways. Get an E-PL2 if you can find it; otherwise only buy the older cameras (E-P1, E-PL1, E-P2) if you understand their specific shortcomings, AND you find a great deal on them. If you go with the E-P2, make sure it comes with the 14-42mm II lens, as the older version is noticeably slower. At that point, you're paying $250 - $120 for the lens = $130 for the E-P2 body, which is a solid deal.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Nope, the E-PL2 is a lot faster. The E-PL2 was the first Olympus to catch up with the AF speed of most of the Panasonic's cameras (though shy of the G3 and GH2), but then the E-P3, E-PL3, and E-PM1 took another big leap from the E-PL2. The E-P1 and the E-P2 were the two slowest Micro Four-Thirds cameras for AF.

7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The E-PM1 is very quick to AF, has a fast burst mode and is an overall great little camera. YOu gotta be okay with the small body. I like it but I could see some folks finding it too small. Since I got my E-PM1 I haven't event touched my E-P1 (and i like my E-P1). It has become my favorite m43 camera ever.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, I know a lot of people think the E-PM1 is too small but to me this camera is exactly what I moved into the Micro Four-Thirds system for. The ability to retain the high image quality, capabilities, and compatibility of my pro-grade DSLR, but in the smallest, most portable package. No camera really does that better than the E-PM1...

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree. I have even found the lack of buttons to not be an issue at all (and that was the thing I was most concerned about). The fact that is a HUGE bargain also helps.

10. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    EP2 I feel looks nicer but it has a significantly thicker Anti-Alias filtering so the images from the EP2 when compared to the EPM1 are more blurred as a result so the EPM1 will naturally have better IQ.

If you are considering buying the EP2 and it comes with the original kit zoom, its prone to lens wobble and it's build quality is no where near as nice the type II or IIR.

The EPM1 is also a smaller form factor but doesn't have the FN buttons options as the EP2.

Flash isn't onboard for either so thats not an issue.

As for IBIS.. i don't think it's an issue for either.. they both have it. The reported IBIS issues with the EPM1 I personally feel might be more user then technical. I can't understand why the EPM1 would be handicapped as it has the same IBIS spec and tech as all the other 3 gen cameras. The smaller body can make it difficult to hold and lead to more motion when clicking the shutter but either way, I wouldn't make that a determiningn factor in which body to get.

Much faster Autofocus on the EPM-1 too.

Overall.. very very few reasons to get the EP2 unless you are willing to sacrifice image IQ for what I consider the better looks of the Ep2.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    And this is from somebody with a screen name of "LovinTheEP2", so you know it's gotta be true! :biggrin:

Seriously though, I do agree with everything you said.

12. jimbojones

jimbojones New to Mu-43

Jan 27, 2012
    Thanks guys for all the replies. I decided to go for the Epm1 in white.

13. epsilon

epsilon Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 17, 2012
    good choice!

14. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    It depends on how you shoot. The EPM-1 has a better processing engine, a weaker anti-aliasing filter, fast focus, and practically fits in your pocket. I gave mine away, however, to keep my E-P2 because I missed the lack of direct access to controls I use all the time. I enjoy shooting manual. But the smaller camera was my second camera on a trip and I have no complaint about the quality of the images it gave me. Unless you are constantly fiddling with manual adjustments the E-PM1 would be great.