Oly E-M5 with 17/1.8 vs. Fuji X100?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by PiterM, Dec 9, 2012.

1. PiterM

PiterM Mu-43 Regular

Jul 22, 2011
    I really like 35mm focal lenght. Before 17/1.8 everything was sooo simple... X100 was for me The King of small camera hill. Since OM-D sensor is not that much worse than X100 and they just introduced most excellent 17/1.8 things have changed for me. OM-D is tempting again!

Could anyone compare directly X100 to OM-D & 17/1.8 combo? Pictures Oly vs. Fuji would e most welcome...

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    That would be difficult, since the 17/1.8 is not shipping yet.

3. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    IBIS?

4. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
  5. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    X100 for 65ish % of the OMD combo. X100 has a larger sensor, a lens specifically suited to the body, a leaf shutter, pop up flash, and is apparently awesome for portraits with fill flash.

If you definitely only after one focal length, then IMHO the Fuji would be the way to go.

6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    This pretty much sums it up I feel. Though, not sure how the X100 UI is compared to Oly. But the cost difference probably makes up for that.

7. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yeah, I have to agree. If I knew I wanted a 35mm field of view I'd probably go with the Fuji. Yes, the OM-D has IBIS and I'm sure it also auto focuses more quickly than the X100. So both factors are worth taking into consideration. But unless you're going to be shooting a lot of action, I'd still go with the Fuji for the external controls and overall image quality. Especially if you already have another camera that you can use for other purposes.

8. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    I agree with soko -- x100 is best for the case where you don't want to change lenses. Cheaper too. Colors and IQ are great with the x100 sensor.

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd try both first. They really do handle differently.

Personally, I found the controls on the Fuji awkward and inconvenient and the AF slow and occasionally inaccurate. The EVFs are comparable, though the E-M5's is better for low light. The X100 has an OVF as well, but it suffers from all the usual problems caused by parallax, being non-TTL.

Purely in terms of image quality, I suspect the E-M5 is a touch better (higher resolution, better dynamic range, equivalent high ISO) and of course it has a lot of other handy features. On the flip side, the Fuji is a lot less expensive and somewhat more compact.

10. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Just get an RX1, it has an orange strip.

11. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I have my 17 1.8 on order from amazon.de. I'm a great fan of the 35e focal length.

I'll compare the E-M5+17 to my X100, but I will definitely keep both, partly as backup, partly because I love the feel of the X100, and the flexibility of the E-M5.

With both cameras, I have them set up so that I almost never have to go into menus.

AF is faster on the Oly, and fill-flash on the Fuji is perfect.

My ideal MFT set-up would be 8, 17 and 45mm primes, plus my 40-150 for the rare occasions I need longer.

12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd get the OM-D. The 17 1.8 is an MSC lens and it should focus incredibly fast on the OM-D. I think shallow DOF between the two cameras will be negligible. 1.8 is still 1.8 so the lens will also be brighter aperture-wise. Plus you have the option of changing bodies in the future if the 17 1.8 will be the only lens you plan to use. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

14. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I want to add to the o17 that it will also have "real" manual focus and not "by wire" like most of the lenses within this format. And mf in the x100 is worse than terrible.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Piter
    I have both and they are entirely different cameras.I agree with every positive thing about Fuji but it all depends on what u are planning to shoot. I would be more in favour of OMD and believe me OMD is up there with any APS-C sensor camera but different people may chose different bodies according to personal prefernces and needs. Fuji is fast but not as fast as OMD , UI is simple and straightforward but Oly is a breeze once you become familiar . You might get tempted to add another lens later on and thats where OMD has a major advantage. I am also starting to like Fuji's colors but that doesnt make OMD or OLy colors less pleasing suddenly.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

16. dgorman47

dgorman47 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Connecticut
    Dutch
    This is very good advice. I have a X100 and an OMD but obviously I don't have the 17mm 1.8. The two cameras feel very different to each other. I love them both for different reasons however.

• Like Like x 1
  17. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    The af on the x100 sucks, but the files and high are amazing.

18. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Totally agree with everything above . I think OP can pick up Fuji X100 used one now and if unhappy , he can always sell it for 50 dollars less as its still a hot camera and buy OMD. In another three- six months time OMD prices will come down and he will be at no loss .
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  19. dgorman47

dgorman47 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Connecticut
    Dutch
    The x100 autofocus is kind of like using the Panasonic 20mm lens. I believe bhupinder made that comparison somewhere and its a good one.

20. PiterM

PiterM Mu-43 Regular

Jul 22, 2011
    Thank you all for the answers! OF COURSE I'd not limit myself to one lens on OM-D, which is good thing AND bad at the same time. With X100 I'm not tempted to spend money on lenses (because I've already purchased WCL, lol!), so it's more wallet-friendly option.

On the other hand till end of Dec we have a cool Olympus promo in Poland - free 45/1.8 with O-MD purchase! So at the price of OM-D body I'd get 45/1.8 and I'd add 17/1.8 as soon as they start to ship it. and for the Summer I could add 9-18 and 40-150... and travel just with OM-D, not with X100 and D700 for tele and ultrawide lenses. Tough decision. Well, I still have more than 2 weeks :D

• Like Like x 1