1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly E-M10 With 25mm or Pentax K-3?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Biro, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I almost never post these kinds of questions but I suddenly find myself with a $1000 credit at Amazon. However, I really don't have much free cash beyond that right now and probably won't until the end of the year or close to it.

So, with that said, I find that credit and less than $100 more will cover the purchase of a new Olympus E-M10 with the new Zuiko 25mm f/1.8 or a Pentax K-3 body only. Take a look at the gear in my signature below and also know that I have a Pentax K-5, K-30 and plenty of Pentax glass. It took quite a few years to collect it all and, yes, it does get used. I also am aware that I am fortunate to have this much gear.

If I went for the Pentax then either the K-5 or K-30 would go. In the case of my micro four-thirds gear, I find that I like having DSLR style bodies for my larger lenses and the smallish rangefinder style bodies for my primes. Given my weather resistant Pentax bodies, having the environmentally sealed E-M5 isn't really an urgent issue for me.

I'm bored tonight, so your input and suggestions are welcome.

2. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Simply put, the K3 is an amazing amazing amazing camera. And youre talking to a m43s diehard fan

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    All that Pentax glass will look good on a new K3. It's an excellent camera for all that I've read about it.

4. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    On paper the K-3 is a ridiculous piece of kit. If I was already invested in Pentax glass my choice would be the K-3, no question.

5. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Do you have to spend it now? I'd wait until the reviews on the O25 are in. I'm sure it is a nice lens. I love my O45 and I would guess the O25 will be similar. But as much as I love my O45, the PL25 is my favorite lens ever. I'd be tempted to get it with some of the money unless the O25 is as good. While the O25 is cheaper, the price difference won't be that much spread out over the years you will likely own it. Mine is practically glued to my G5.

But I don't know anything about the K3 or which you'd use more. If it is an amazing camera and you'd use it more than your u4/3 gear, then that would probably be the better decision.

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yes, I can wait a bit until the more trusted O25 reviews are in. Right now, everyone will pay MSRP on the E-M10 and the new lenses. No breaks are being offered. If you check out those stackable deals with the OM-Ds, you'll find the camera body is $699 and the O25 is $399, even when bought together. As for the K-3, I suspect the price is still prone to fluctuate a bit. But I'm sure it'll return to the $1000 range again.

7. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Stay where you are, I say. One of my main reasons for heavily investing in M43 & particularly its lenses is that I feel awkward holding a DSLR body. You don't have that issue. I do love M43, but if I didn't feel so awkward having a DSLR, it'd definitely be Pentax for me.

8. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    What about getting the Pentax and using the money from the sold body to get a 25mm? You seem to have a good set of m43 bodies anyhow. I would suggest spanking any change on some good monographs or one of the big Magnum books, pity you can't get holidays through them then I would suggest that as your bag seems petty set up.

9. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    I just finished palying around more in depth with a K3, its even more amazing that i told you initially. Its noticeably better than the D7100 for some unknown reason (its the same sensor). Its sharp and the high ISO files are surprisingly very clean

10. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Since you already have a GX7 and the Panasonic 20mm, you will probably be better off upgrading your Pentax gear. I don't think the EM-10 + 25mm is going to give you as much bang for you buck as replacing one of your Pentax bodies with the K-3.

11. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And Pentax weather sealing is rock solid :2thumbs: I would pick up Pentax over N and C anyday . I love the Pentax UI and ofcourse the camera ergonimics :smile:

12. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    How does k3 image quality compare to current high end m43?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    FWIW, my K-3 RAW files open up considerably slower than my K-5 RAW files. I've got a 2.2GHz quad core i7 with 16Gb. But the K-3 AF is a big step forward for Pentax, and somehow the K-3 feels even better in hand than the K-5.

What I'd like to see is a merger of the 16MP sensor with the K-3's AF. That would be cool.

• Like Like x 1