Oly Camera help. Does anyone live in Philly (or surrounding area)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by philsphan09, Nov 26, 2014.

1. philsphan09

philsphan09 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    happy thanksgiving eve all! So I have an E-PL5 with the kit 14-42 and the basic 40-150.

Was wondering if anyone with experience with these cameras lived in the Philly area and wouldn't mind giving me some tips. I've had this camera for some time, but don't think I'm taking quality pictures, and I'm really not sure how to fully utilize the menu / settings....etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and happy thanksgiving!

2. n3eg

n3eg Mu-43 Regular

3. philsphan09

philsphan09 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    Below is a link to some I took of my new dog. Basically I'm struggling to focus in her. Not always sure what mode to have on, what settings to use ...etc. I set up the super screen with all the main options on it, but not sure how to fully utilize them. Is there a good tutorial on this forum of how to properly utilize all the modes / settings?

https://flickr.com/photos/28927716@N00/sets/72157649215283545

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Some of those shots look fine.

Although AF on m43 has improved a lot since the early days of m43's its still not great on moving subjects.

I'd try bumping up the shutter speed (freeze motion) and aperture (get more in focus with a higher 'f' number) and the trade off is likely to be in higher ISO (slightly noisier pictures). For those shots I suspect you could goto 1/800 or 1/1000, f8 and ISO 640 or 800.

Also, see what your focus points are - by default its a grid across your whole sensor. It might just be my perception but the side on shots look more in focus than the head-on ones - maybe more areas for the AF to hit. Potentially look at selecting only the centre point as your focus - less for your camera to worry about when looking for the subject.

Good luck - if you can't find someone local, the forum has a wealth of global expertise on tap :)

5. philsphan09

philsphan09 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    Thank you for the feedback!! Will try for sure