1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OLY Body & PANA Lenses

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tkc9789, Jul 12, 2014.

1. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    How well does Olympus body such as the OM10 work with Panasonic lenses? I currently have all Panasonic gear and may want to try out the OM10. But not sure how the OM10 handles things like chromatic aberration and distortion correction? Your input will be appreciated.

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    IMO, Panasonic primes work better on E-M10 cause they are stabilized. My PL25 is my most used lens on E-M10, I rely on IBIS heavily with this lens for both stills and video.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

• Like Like x 3
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I am unconvinced that OIS is any better than the IBIS in the 10. The E-M1 IBIS is better than the OIS on my pana lenses, but only slightly.

4. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    I read somewhere that the Pan Lenses cause purple flairs on the photo's due to to the Oly bodies not having a built in UV filter. Is this statement rubbish, as I had ruled out all Pan lenses from my hit list due to this?

5. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I've only had the 14 and 25 and don't have problems. I recently got the 20, but haven't used it enough to have much opinion. (using EM5 and EPM2)

6. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have had to problem with lenses on either makers body, no odd flairs or halo's, its all really played nicely with each other, the Oly 45 gives grew Iq on the G3 and the Panny 12-32 does likewise on the EPM2 as did the Panny 14-45 on the EP1. I would just buy the body and lenses you like at the time, if Pannasonic with their better menus is right for you with an Olympus 12mm then run with it, at the same time if the IBIS on the Olympus body that beats all comers is your thing with a Panasonic 45 macro then run with that. Its the great thing about ยต43 we have such a great choice and it all plays so well together, what more could we want.

7. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    No issues to report. I *THINK* CA may not be corrected in Oly bodies, but most Panasonic primes are pretty good about it. AFAIK, distortion is corrected by Oly bodies.

I have been shooting the P20 and P14 heavily on my OM-D the past few weeks and have nothing but praise for the combos! :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    The purple spot problem has hit me a few times shooting very wide into a light source with an E-M5. Nothing to do with the lens brand However, the 12-35/2.8 is my most used lens on my E-M1. I wouldn't (and don't) worry about it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Oh yes, I forgot to mention the purple blob thing...it's present on many lenses, including Olympus lenses...I've had to work around it more than once. It's just most pronounced on the Panasonic 7-14, likely because of its bulbous front element (nothing to do with the brand, though).

Also, I believe the part responsible for the blobs is not a UV filter (no such thing on a camera body), but rather the Anti-Aliasing (AA) filter used in the E-M5, etc.

10. jjinh

jjinh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2014
    I havent experienced any major issues with panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies.

One of the great things about micro 4/3 is the availability and range of native lenses from all the different manufacturers!

11. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    This. It's really a non-issue 99.99% of the time, and there are some great lenses from both Panny and Oly that are worth owning. I personally have one Panny body and one Oly body and a variety of Panny/Oly lenses, and I mix and match all the time without worrying about it. As jjinh says, this is one of the very best things about m43!

The Panny 14-45mm, 20mm, and 12-32mm are some of my favorite lenses, and they all work GREAT on the EM-5.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    I use the 14 and 25 on my E-M10. They work perfectly. I used to use the 14 and 20 on an E-M5 and apart from the odd case of banding with the 20 in frames shot in ridiculously dark situations I had no complaints there either. I've never seen any purple blobs.

13. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    This. ^^^ Check my sig. I use mostly Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies.

• Like Like x 1
  14. pbraun

pbraun Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2014
    The 20/1.7 on my E-M5 is my daily walkaround rig. Love that lens. Like others, you do get banding occasionally if you try to shoot in ridiculously dark situations or try to crank the exposure far beyond normal in post. But 98% of the time, I'm amazed at the quality of images I get with that combo. And it's tiny and light. My E-1 has the 14-54 on it, and it was too heavy to carry all the time. Now, with the E-M5 and the 20/1.7, barely a day goes by that I don't have a real camera with me.

15. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    When I take out the E-PL5, I mostly use the Panasonic 14-42 MkII lens and the Panasonic 45-150 lens, sometimes I have the PL 25mm lens on it as well.

16. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I have an E-M5 and an E-M10. When I'm not using primes, my zooms of choice are the Panny 14-42 II and 45-150. I've owned both the Oly 14-42 II R and 40-150, but I prefer the Panny lenses. More solid build, more compact, and IMO better IQ.

17. pbraun

pbraun Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2014
    The 20/1.7 on my E-M5 is my daily walkaround rig. Love that lens. Like others, you do get banding occasionally if you try to shoot in ridiculously dark situations or try to crank the exposure far beyond normal in post. But 98% of the time, I'm amazed at the quality of images I get with that combo. And it's tiny and light. My E-1 has the 14-54 on it, and it was too heavy to carry all the time. Now, with the E-M5 and the 20/1.7, barely a day goes by that I don't have a real camera with me.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jageanke

jageanke Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    I use the Panasonic 20mm on the EPL-5 and confirm that in Lightroom, the lens profile section that has an option for correcting Chromatic Aberration works just fine - I've checked before and after scenarios on a number of occasions to see the purple/green fringing disappear.

19. Medley

Medley Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2014
    I posted a few pictures today that I took on a recent trip to Italy and Norway. I used my E-M10 and the Pana 14-45 for the four photos in my message https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=60007&page=30 #294.
    I don't believe the Olympus camera corrects for CA or distortion with this lens (and I'm assuming for other Panasonic lenses), but in my samples you can see that the image quality is very good. I use Lightroom to correct for such things when I need to.

• Like Like x 1