1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Oly Bodies

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by swampduck, Apr 25, 2013.

1. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    Am I correct in saying the e-pl1, e-p1 and e-p2 all share the same sensor and the main difference between them is the external controls? The e-p3 has upgraded sensor and many more focus points?

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    EP3 has the same sensor. EP3, EPM1 and EPL3 and any camera before that all have the same sensor. OMD, EPL5, EPM2 are the first with the newer sensor.

3. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    So it is just some feature set differences in the models...the image ouput is basically the same?

4. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    Last model year bodies before the current ones with the newer sensor, the epm1, epl3, and ep3, focus quite a bit faster than the older bodies.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    EP3, EPM1 and EPL3 all focus faster (as DeoreDX mentions). Much faster. I think the LCDs are probably higher RES. Some menu improvements. The EP3 has a built-in flash (vs. the EP1 or 2). Touch sensitive LCD.

When I wonder what's new in a camera, DPR usually covers "what's new" in their first couple of pages. Check out Olympus PEN E-P3 in-depth review: Digital Photography Review

6. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I did the dpreview camera comparisons..I wasn't sure since they all seemed identical on the spec sheet in regards to sensor and pixel count and some ergonimics. My main concerns is if I get a new camera I want to get one with a newer sensor. This is one of the reasons I keep looking at the G5 kit.

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The E-M5, E-PL5 and E-PM2 have better sensors than the G5; the GH3 is the only panasonic with the same level of IQ, though the GX1/G5/G6/GH2 aren't far off and are all better than any of the older Oly bodies. What handling you prefer is deeply personal (many love the E-M5, many only love the E-M5 with a grip, plenty of others hate the handling. I'm in category 1).

8. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    ok, thanks for the info on the IQ of the bodies. I will try and find a good price on e-p3 or e-pl3/5

9. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    one more thing, which Oly bodies can use a remote shutter release?

10. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    The E-PL1 most notably can not.

11. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    If you want the newer sensor don't go for the E-P3 or E-PL3. Those use the older 12MP sensor. The E-PL5 is the only one in your list that has the new 16MP sensor.

12. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    yeah, I am looking at the prices...my heart says do it, my mind and wallet say don't...got resolve internal struggle first.

13. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I have the E-PL5, which was $600 new with the kit lens. I also bought an E-PL1 off the forum for $90 (Body only) and I don't see anything wrong with the output, I just don't push the ISO as much as I can on the E-PL5. The lack of remote shutter is annoying, the screen isn't as bright or clear (if you use a VF-2 that becomes irrelevant, and the VF-2 will work on upgrade cameras down the line), both are the same when it comes to legacy lens focus speed ;)

I used the Panasonic 45-200 last on the E-PL1 (the lens has OIS, so better/worse IBIS becomes irrelevant), and I really like the photos I got with that (at the same time as using the E-PL5 with a different lens). The E-PL1 doesn't accidentally scroll the wheel when pulling it out of my pocket while still on (because it has no wheel) and I find the buttons a little quicker to operate than the wheel of the E-PL5, which can get fiddly because you can accidentally press the edge of the wheel (counts as a button) when trying to scroll it. If you have my fat fingers, anyway.

If you have a local Target doing the E-PM1 clearout kit sales (under $150) that would be a "no brainer" to me, and your conscience could be clear. You could sell it down the line for not a huge loss too.

14. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Between the E-P1 and the E-P2, the major difference was the addition of the accessory port which allows you to use the EVF.

The E-PL1 (the first PEN "Lite") was basically a "dumbed down" E-P2, which added the "Live Guide" interface and removed a control dial or two and has a smaller display (2.7" v. 3" on the E-P1/2). The E-PL1 also has a built-in flash which the E-P1 and E-P2 lack.

The E-PL2 can be thought of as an E-PL1 with a larger display with double the resolution and a massaged interface (a control dial replaces some buttons). It also offers slightly improved high ISO performance.

The E-PM1 (the first PEN "Mini"), the E-PL3 and the E-P3 were all introduced at the same time. The E-PL3 lack's the E-PL1/2's on-board flash and grip, but adds a tilting screen, 1080 video, and is a bit smaller than the E-PL2. The E-PM1 is basically a smaller E-PL3 without the tilting screen and the mode dial.

Compared to the E-P2, the E-P3 has a much improved OLED touchscreen, adds an on-board flash, and features faster focusing and 1080 video.

All of these cameras used the same 12.3 MP sensor.

If you want more detail on the differences, I've created a spreadsheet that breaks it all down.

15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The E-P3 has an old sensor. You want either the E-M5, E-PM2 or E-PL3 for the best Oly sensor.

16. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Your signature indicates ownership of the EPL1, 14-42, 40-150, P14 2.5, and VF-3. Buying a newer PEN, whether EPL5, EPM1, EPL3 or EP3 will get you a much faster focusing body, a useful AF illuminator and better handling, even with the EPM1. There seems to be little savings in not picking up the 14-42 II too. Your image will be the same as what you got with the EPL1 though. BTW, the 14-42 II isn't much better than the 14-42.

I don't know. I started with an EPL1 and did buy an EPM1 last year, in part to acquire the 14-42 II. While it's a great camera, in hindsight, as soon as I heard about the EPL5, I knew I wanted the ISO performance. Got to have the touch/tilt screen. I should have waited.

You should have a quantum leap in performance to justify an upgrade. Going with the older camera, given what you have now, just sticks you with two older cameras.

17. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    HarryS,

You are right, for the most part. I want better controls like I stated in another thread...but I think it is mostly just wanting to buy more gear in the end. I am most likely going to wait for the next drop in price on the E-PL5

18. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    i was like you as i upgraded from epl1 to ep3.

another thing to take into account is the image processor that has been upgraded over time. even with same sensor, i think olympus has pushed everything it could out of the old 12mp sensor with the ep3. it was the last hurrah for the old sensor IMO before the OMD.

for adapted lens, i liked using my epl1. for ep3 its better for an all rounder. although due to lighter AA filter on epl1, it actually is a little sharper than EP3. (from comparing old pictures)