Oly AVCHD video help?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BSH, Mar 28, 2015.

1. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    What's the trick for getting video off my E-P3 onto a computer? Olympus Viewer 3 says to use the older version, but I can't find OV2, and I bought the camera second hand so it didn't come with a CD. I read another thread that said iMovie imports it, but mine doesn't - maybe my Mac is too old (iMovie version 6, iLife 09 maybe). The manual for the camera offers nothing.

I have a Mac G4 with OSX 10.4, a Win XP box and a Win Vista box.

There seems to be a Mac converter, but only for 10.5 & up. OV2 might work on my Vista box, if I could find a copy of that version. Any help?

Thanks

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Are you saying that you can't transfer the files from the computer, or that you can't read the files once they are on your computer?

3. Bob T

Bob T Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2012
    Carol Stream, IL
    I just copy the files from the card to my video folder on my hard drive. Do you have a card reader/slot on your PC/laptop?

If so, put it in, open the card, and double click though -> PRIVATE -> AVCHD -> BDMV -> STREAM, and your .MTS files should be there. Copy and paste where ya want 'em.

I am assuming the Oly and my Panasonic have the same file structure, but if not, it should be similar.

4. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    I can't do anything with the MTS files. I would have expected Olympus to provide software to manage the video files, but apparently not. I just want to convert to a more useful format.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    You can use Olympus Viewer 3 to export the files to MP4 format.

I've converted MOV files that the E_M1 produces, but I'm not sure why you have MTS files.

6. Bob T

Bob T Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2012
    Carol Stream, IL
    I hear ya. There are some free programs out there to convert MTS to other formats. I know some people that use Handbrake, but I don't know the best one. I use a purchased program to convert MTS to an intermediate codec for editing in Sony Vegas Pro, although I can edit MTS files direct in Vegas. What are you editing with? Many of the editors out there can work with MTS files. Also, you can play them on VLC Media player.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    OV3 gives me an error when I try to export, saying it doesn't support AVCHD files, and I need to reinstall OV2 from the CD (which I don't have).

8. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    If you can play them using VLC (have you tried this?) then you can also convert them using VLC.
    Download VLC.

9. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    Ooo, I think that worked! I hadn't tried it, because it said it was a player, but it looks like I got a conversion. I guess MP4 is pretty lossy compared to AVCDH - my source file is 62MB, and the converted file is almost 9MB, but it looks like a success. Thanks!

10. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Glad it worked. You can convert to loads of different formats - there is a pulldown that chooses.