1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Oly answer, E-M5 video w. legacy lenses.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Viktor, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Viktor

Viktor Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2012
    Denmark
    I wrote Olympus about the no IBIS with E-M5 and legacy lenses.
    Just got a mail from them :-(

"Thank you for your E-mail regarding IBIS.

We are sorry to inform you that we are unable to guarantee the
    operation with non-native adapted lenses in exception of genuine
    products.

However, we are constantly making efforts to improve our products.
    We are always grateful for customers' opinion.

Thank you.

Best regard,

T.Katagiri
    Customer Support Center
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. Tokyo, Japan "

2. efoo

efoo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Eddie
    Meh, don't own legacy lenses and don't really care about them. :tongue:

At least they have IBIS working in still photos.

3. Viktor

Viktor Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2012
    Denmark
    Ok. :sorry:

4. efoo

efoo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Eddie
    I'm just teasing you. Please note the emoticon at the end of the sentence.

5. Viktor

Viktor Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2012
    Denmark
    :th_salute: So was I... Im from Denmark. We almost cannot complete a sentence without the use of irony.

• Like Like x 3
  6. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I don't know about this. People have claimed for years that this is the advantage of IBIS over in-lens IS. My take is that Oly just don't want to take responsibilities if their IBIS does not work on legacy lenses. There really is no reason why it shouldn't, but if it doesn't, it's not their fault. Seems fair to me.

7. Viktor

Viktor Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2012
    Denmark
    IBIS w. legacy works with stills. Oly have for some reason removed IBIS in video mode w. legacy. Cant see it's not their responsibility? But of course there might be a technical reason...

8. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I guess I'll be classified as a "fanboy" but I'm completely planning on sticking with Olympus lenses for my OMD. I'm not an experimenter when it comes to compatibility issues. I'd rather stick with what it was fully designed for. Their lenses meet my needs nicely so far. Sure there are a few Panny's I'd try, but don't think I'll bother to invest in them at this point. I'm not printing posters.

9. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    You're greatly limiting yourself by excluding the Panasonic lenses! I know it's none of my business...but they make some beautiful lenses that work flawlessly on Oly bodies!!

10. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Why would you exclude Panasonic lenses? They are native Micro 4/3 lenses from a first party manufacturer that basically MUST be compatible with the camera bodies. There is absolutely ZERO functional difference with a Panasonic lens vs. an Olympus lens on an Olympus body. You can even upgrade Panasonic Lens firmware through an Olympus body with the Olympus firmware update tool (which I did yesterday on my E-M5 and Panny 45-175). It even autodetects the firmware update and downloads it...so you don't even need to do anything special. (Frankly it's easier to update a panasonic lens with an Olympus body than it is with a Panasonic body).

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If they meet your needs great, but I see little purpose in ruling out more than half of the good m4/3 lenses, most of which have 0 compatibility complaints.

DH

12. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Indeed. The whole point of creating the standard is the broad array of glassware from multiple manufacturers. I have a camera from each (GF2, E-M5) and prefer the Oly, but the lenses I'm shooting with most are Panasonic (14/2.5, 20/1.7). I've also got a panny ultrawide coming (quality is king, and I do often print LARGE. It's kind of the point for me) and I'm leaning slightly towards the 100-300 over the 75-300 for when the time comes to add a tele zoom.

13. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    That's a disappointing response from Olympus :frown:

ยต4/3 has a great following for people that use legacy lenses- and Olympus only kinda acknowledges it. Which I can understand as I imagine they would prefer people buy new lenses.

14. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    What about the lack of correction of chromatic aberrations in regards to panny lens on Olympus bodies. I'd consider that a difference, and a compatibility issue that has not been dealt with as of yet. I know that with software it can be corrected, but it does make a difference in regards to comparing the product.

15. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    While that's a wildly unsatisfying response, it's the exact response I would've expected. That's not necessarily a knock on Olympus, because I would expect a similar response from any corporation or large organization (which is sort of a sad commentary on our increasingly corporate-dominated world economy).

Obviously there is a reason (either technical or financial) why Olympus chose not to offer the capability of using IBIS for video with non-native lenses. I don't know what that reason was, but I would be surprised if they offered a "fix" for this "problem" any time soon.

So, for those who are hung up on this single feature of the OM-D, I think a more effective course of action (rather than writing letters to Olympus or continuing to [thread=26540]whinge on this forum[/thread]) is to either start trying to hack a solution (such a the dandelion chip) or find another camera that offers this functionality out of the box.

This is not meant to be an attack on the OP (or anyone else), but simply my reading of the tea leaves.

16. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    What a let down.

The biggest and most special feature of the OMD is IBIS. Without it, there are many better options for video with more features - GH1/2/3, Nex, etc.. the OMD doesn't have variable frame rates nor high bitrates for video...but it Does have IBIS; something the other cameras don't have. That's what sets it apart (IBIS) and that's what will make up for its' shortcomings (24p, higher bitrate) compared to the other cameras that do have 24p and higher bitrate. Olympus should really be exploiting the OMD's best and most unique feature, IBIS, instead of dumbing it down.

Dangit... I guess I will be forced to buy the modern AF lenses, which is a major drawback for video work. Real MF focus rings are so much better for video work. I also use double focus anamorphic-lenses, which likes real MF focus, and not clutch/electroni MF focus of the modern AF lenses. Also, i guess all my timelapses will be full of flickering now, since I have to use modern lenses with an electronic Ap blades that close and open after every shot, unlike an MF lens whose Ap blades just stay still and don't move per shot. My work will be slightly inferior; but I guess I can live with it and work with the modern, plastic, Overpriced, AF lenses.

Sucks really... cant use IBIS to its' full potential, with Video... can't use leica, old dslr and rf canon & nikon, pen-f, legacy, minolta, vintage Russian primes, old zeiss, contax lenses, and the list goes on and on. Just some examples of some really great lenses for the poor videographer..as they are much more inexpensive than modern af lenses, but still offer really great IQ, plentiful, the important real MF focus control and Not the icky clutch-focus of modern lenses, real manual Ap ring (which also can be modified for smooth Ap turning; something kinda needed since OMD locks exp while video shooting), etc., etc.

17. That sucks. Big time. I see two major flaws in his argument, and I suggest replying with these two points:
    1) Olympus themselves produce an (expensive) OM to m43 adapter, to allow use of legacy Olympus lenses.
    2) More importantly, Cosina Voigtlander are part of the m43 standard. They produce two very high quality and expensive lenses, that are listed on the Olympus website. These lenses are a big drawcard to the format for many. Are they saying that they will not support these lenses with IBIS in the video mode?

I'm glad you got a response from them. I would be grateful if you follow it up, don't be content with the first dismissal!

Cheers, Tom

18. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Ya... I actually read some have the expensive, super-nice, Voigtander 25mm 0.95, which is native-m43...and guess what? Even being a native lens, it still has no Video-IBIS. I can;t afford that lens anyways...but I can afford the cheaper old adapted lenses and am more concerned with that, even tho the vc m43 lenses don't have Video-IBIS. It must really suck for them tho..since those new m43 vc lenses cost around $1500. Ouch.

19. Viktor

Viktor Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2012
    Denmark
    I have now written back, with focus on these two points. I will be back if they answer...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Viktor

Viktor Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2012
    Denmark
    Answer:

Thank you for sending your e-mail back.
    To answer your questions, we have to be sorry that not all of OM
    lenses are adapted to.

Even if your lens is adopted, there are some restrictions on
    operation, not only take movies but also take steel images.

1) Please refer to the following websites for more details of MF-1
    OM adaptor as an example of use.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_files/mf1instcomp.pdf
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_faqs.asp?id=1461#48

2) Cosina Voigtlander lens are adoptable for Micro Four-Thirds
    bodies, however, restrictions on operation are not avoidable.
    in addition to this, regarding the problem with the camera and lens,
    we are unable to give you any definite comments without having
    camera for inspection individually.

We are sorry that we cannot give you more constructive reply.

Thank you.

Best regard,

T. Katagiri
    Customer Support Center
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. Tokyo, Japan

• Like Like x 1