1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly and Sony linking up! No worries on sensors for me :)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Sep 15, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    • Like Like x 1
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    And there shouldn't be!
    Sony, Nikon, & Pentax all enjoy a positive symbiotic relationship with each other....:cool:

Edit: It's my personal opinion that Olympus was getting the shaft from Panasonic when it comes to sensors - so in this light, this is an excellent venue for Olympus :smile:

• Like Like x 3
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Zuikos coming for E mount?! :eek:

4. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    You are reading my mind. :thumbup:

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Also....
    Just imagine an Olympus XZ-3 with the rx100/rx200 sensor....:smile:

6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    You mean the Sony XZ-3? :smile: Sony has done this before.

Konica Minolta and Sony make D-SLR announcement: Digital Photography Review

This is a finalization of the agreement they started earlier in the year. Olympus was in dire straits and needed a white knight. Panasonic was one of the companies in the running but in the end Sony is that knight. Sony is now the largest shareholder of Olympus.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Did Konica-Minolta make endoscopes? - I'll go out on a limb & say the Sony/Olympus relationship can't be compared to Konica-Minolta/Sony...

8. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes they did.

CAPSULE ENDOSCOPE - Konica Minolta Medical & Graphic, Inc.

That is a difference in the relationship this time. With Minolta, Sony was only interested in the camera assets. This time they seem to want the whole thing.

"Olympus and Sony will set up a joint-venture to develop medical devices of the next generation, such as high definition endoscopes with video and 3D technology"

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    That's a smart move by Olympus, Sony makes great sensors and Olympus had really stagnated sensor-wise relying on Panasonic. If Sony is getting something in return from Sony (like 5 axis IBIS or perhaps some Zuiko glass) then there might be a lot of really interesting options out there in the not too distant future. Definitely good for the end user.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Most interesting...(and I stand somewhat corrected..)
    So do you view this as a bad thing overall for Olympus or no?

11. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    I consider it a good thing for Olympus since the alternative would most likely have been bankruptcy.

There is a lot more going on than Sony simply buying into Olympus to save it from bankruptcy. Some of the minority shareholders in the 5% range did express concern about Sony buying in since it might be the prelude to a full takeover. The thing is that the former largest shareholder of Olympus was Sumitomo. They are now the second largest shareholder behind Sony. Sumitomo and Sony have a close relationship. Sumitomo executives sit on the Sony board. So it seems the battle in Olympus about Sony has already been fought. I think the finalization of the Sony/Olympus tie up makes it clear what the result of that battle is. The way I look at it, at the very least, the two largest shareholders of Olympus are on the same page in regards to the future of Olympus. Think of it this way, why would Sony spend so much money and resources to create competition for itself?

12. TDP

TDP Guest

I bought a Minolta 7xi back in 1992. Great camera, my first modern SLR.

Digital rolled in and Minolta was behind the power curve once they showed up to the game. Most early DSLR consumers went with Canon because they were leading the D pack. Around the same time Minolta got busted for tech theft from Honeywell, that pretty much did them in. Sony comes in to save the injured kitty on the side of the road. Most consumers see Sony's as rebranded, old tech Minolta (Sony was best known for TVs back then, who buys a camera from a TV company?). Sony DSLR sales suck, sony ditches DSLRs. Existing customers move to the masses where they think their investment in gear will be safe from being discontinued into oblivion ; Canon and Nikon.

Sony's venture into the mirrorless world hasn't been so great either - why? The lenses suck. What does it take to make a digital image? A sensor and a lens. Sony can make a sensor, that is for sure - but the lens department they aren't so good at. So they lean on Zeiss who will make them some glass but at a premium price (because Zeiss glass rocks). Most consumers won't buy expensive glass. So Sony thinks why not take a cue from the highly successful X100 but one up them - throw an awesome piece of glass in front of a full frame sensor. Oh wait they are doing that now. Most consumers won't buy an almost 3k USD fixed lens camera. Sony needs to sell cameras to every person in the neighborhood, not just the one camera-nut in the neighborhood. But wait, it is much cheaper than an M9+1 lens! Ah yes, but Leica is top of mind for luxury cameras, Sony makes PSPs.

So Olympus has had some pretty serious financial issues (or scandals if you will) and again Sony sweeps in to save the day. I hope Sony's deep involvement with Olympus doesn't result in the "Sony Way" of killing off a product line just because they aren't making the numbers Sony execs want them to.

I guess if you can't beat them, buy them on the cheap then kill them off.

13. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

I guess I'm the pessimist in the room who feels that this is a little concerning. Granted, with the alternative being Oly's possible bankruptcy, the Sony alliance is preferred. But...

I'm fully aware that there are a lot of Sony components within other devices, including the sensor in my E-M5s. And that seems to work well. But on the other hand, I won't buy any Sony-branded products and haven't for a number of years. I had terrible experiences with all manner of their products (laptops, digital cameras, CD players, etc).

If Sony & Oly keep the current arrangement, with two different companies and product lines, then I agree that things should go well. But I also have a lurking fear that if Olympus is absorbed into Sony, all bets are off.

14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Maybe Sony is doing this not so much to kill Olympus off, but to subdue Panasonic. By making Olympus the top dog in M43 land, they can kill off the only other major electronics manufacturer in the mirrorless world and that's Panasonic. Samsung isn't really a threat, but Panasonic is, especially in video.

15. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I think Sony's ultimate goal is to dominate photo market from compact cameras to full frame (and later medium format) pro equipment. Oly can actually help Sony with its superb and cost effective lenses (Zeiss is way too expensive) and great jpeg engine (Sony is behind in jpeg image processing). Imagine Oly cams with state of the art Sony sensors, high res LCD, ultra fast processors, IBIS, best in class video, Zuiko lenses, Oly flash system, etc...
    In a short term it seems like a plan against Canon which is becoming less and less competitive in sensor development. What do we have now: allegedly Nikon, Pentax, Fuji and now Olympus all use Sony sensors. In addition a whole bunch of compacts use Sony sensors from all kinds of manufacturers.

P.S. Rumor has it that Leica M10 will feature a Sony sensor.

16. TDP

TDP Guest

Who makes the Leica M9 sensor? I thought it was Sony as well.

All Sony has to do is:
    1. State they are supporting M43 and Olympus and will continue to release products.
    2. Finish producing whatever Olympus already has in the pipeline (OM-D Pro maybe?)
    3. 2 years down the line merge the Sony/Olympus camera line for "the best of both worlds" and dissolve the m43 mount - killing two birds with one stone (of of those birds is named Panasonic).

OK it won't kill off Panasonic but it will injure it in the m43 parts.

17. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Quoting Battlestar Galactica: "this has happened before and will happen again":

Sony Mobile Communications - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The romantic in me would certainly like to see the Olympus brand persisting. OTOH this is the way the corporate world operates. The realist in me knows he only needs to have a capable camera and doesn't bother if the logo is of a company known for Playstations anymore than being a logo of a company known for its air-conditioners.

Sony has no interest in killing :43: anytime soon. My argument would be that they may even use Olympus for novel photographic market projects, e.g. a medium format line of cameras.

18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Nope, it's a Kodak CCD sensor. Fantastic low ISO, dire high ISO.

19. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    In addition to all the synergies mentioned above, don't forget that Sony can really help Olympus with its distribution network which could provide a nice boost for Olympus, further entrenching m43 and Olympus as mainstream. The result, to us consumers, could potentially be products that are priced lower - i.e. without the existing premium over Canonikon.

• Like Like x 1