1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Oly and Panny... east or west, which one is best?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by mesmerized, Aug 15, 2012.

1. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Hi all good folks!

I've always been a huge fan of Olympus. Not sure why though. Perhaps due to the fact that my dad used to own a really good Oly 20 or so years ago. I'm just a newbie who doesn't really know anything about taking pictures, not to mention memorable pictures. Yet, I got myself another E-PL1 (the first one was stolen...) and I've always craved for something more than just a point and click camera. Anyway, I've been following peoples' opinions and advice and now I am at this point when I wanna ask you whether Olies and Pannies (especially the first gen cameras) are equal competitiors or not.

The reason why I'm posting this question is simple. I'm waiting for a Panny 45-200 to be delivered and this makes me wonder... What are the advantages/disatvandages of Olies and Pannies when compared. Some people say that IBIS in Ollies is wores than Mega OIS in Panasonic lenses. Panasonic cameras correct CA automatically as far as I know, contrary to Olies. I'm not asking you because I'd like to buy another camera, no, I just wanna know what you think so if you have some time to share your thoughts on this topic, it'd be an interesting read.

Thanks

2. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Not a thread conducive to filial harmony. :cool:

There is no accounting for taste. It's an individual thing. Most of us gear heads have gone through more cameras than we can remember. Right now I'm into Olympus and don't mix brands. But I'm weird. :tongue:

If this thread went to 100 posts it would not help you make up your mind about anything. JMO

Buy and sell a bunch of cameras and lenses, and use them a LOT, and you will figure out what you like. :smile:

3. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Owning both an Oly and Panny, they both have different ideologies and pros and cons.

My advice - try renting a Panny body and shoot it side-by-side with your Oly. It will put the remaining opinions below down to rest.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    You know, there are tons of threads that go into that...and in excruciating detail I might add. I also agree that if you got a hundred answers you'd be no closer to an answer than when you started. M43 cameras, for the most part are very VERY similar. I've had plenty of each and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between images created on any of them from one another. It comes down to things like features, handling, UI, what feel better in your hands, which one you like the color of, or maybe what was available at the right price when you were looking. Basically there is no way to answer this. We all have our biases and reasons why we made the choices we did. If what you want to know is what did we choose and why then I'll step up...I prefer Panasonic cameras for two main reasons.

1. UI
    I like the Panasonic UI. I think it's logical and easy to use.

2. Handling
    I like the way Panasonic controls are setup. My personal favorite is the clickable thumbwheel and to be perfectly honest if Olympus had them I'd probably be more inclined to get one.

Mind you I don't dislike Olympus cameras I simply prefer Panasonic. If you want to know which is best...they both are.

5. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Or, buy one camera and a lens or two and spend your time learning something about taking pictures before worrying about the minutiae of camera brand differences. IMO, a beginner's time is much better spent on photography than on gear. Come to think of it, that also applies to experienced photographers.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    There is no 'best' or 'better.' There are differences and there are preferences, but even one user may find both useful - see my sig below. If you have OIS lenses, for example, IBIS is unimportant. If you don't like Olympus menus, Panasonic may be better for you. Maybe you will prefer one camera's jpeg rendering over another's, but things change from model to model and if you shoot raw it doesn't matter at all...etc., etc...

7. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Thanks. Well, at this point I merely take JPEGs. Anyway, I'm not seeking a definite answer, I'm just pondering over some pros and cons. What particularly makes me wonder is IBIS vs OIS.

PS. Like I said, I have a soft spot for Olympus, dunno why.

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    So many of the quantifiable differences come down to personal preference - not good/bad but like/don't like. For example, the "stock" JPG rendering - some like it, some say it's over done.

For me, though, when I was shopping for my first m43 camera, it came down to the EPL1 vs GF1. I REALLY wanted to like the Oly more, but just couldn't. The responsiveness of the Panny was just so much faster in every way. It was absolutely indisputable. Yes, some of it was the horrid kit lens, but thats really just excuses. The electronics company Panasonic seems to have placed more focus on creating photographic tools than thr camera comapny Olympus has. On the third generation, Oly has finally caught up on AF speed, and Panasonic is likely to leapfrog them again when the GH3 comes out.

If you ask anyone what the best lenses in the system are, the list will be dominated by Panasonic (I will say however that the best Oly lenses are very very very good indeed)

9. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    There you go. Buy a Panny, maybe that'll cure you. :biggrin:

10. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    As other have said this is a personal user preference thing. I have Panasonic because I find their cameras very usable. I want to like Oly - I am looking at the new 75mm and 60mm macro and would love to use these lenses - but just cannot get on with the Oly UI and handling. I've tried, have owned the EPL1 and EPL3, and there is nothing wrong with these cameras. They're just no good for me.

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Based on my own tests, there is no significant difference between IBIS and OIS...as long as the lens has OIS (quite a few native m4/3 lenss don't, even some Panasonic lenses).

12. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There is a huge difference between these two which no one has mentioned so far.....they are SPELLED differently..hhahhahhahahah:rofl::rofl:
    Otherwise they both take photos ..none of them cook a meal or vaccum the carpet ..:rofl::rofl::
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  13. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I have a foot in both camps...I personally think the oly bodis are cooler, but more "quirky". Panasonic makes high quality tools though and the lack of eccentricities and better handling means it's what I would use in a more serious environment. I agree with the heart vs head comparison of olympus having an emotional appeal even though panasonic has lots of real advantages.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

14. las Palm as

las Palm as Mu-43 Regular

I had ep1,gf1,gf3,gx1,gh2,omd . Now im selling olympus omd and stay with panasonic gh2.
    I tried oly 9-18 , pana 7-14, oly 12, pana 14, oly 17, pana 20, pana 25, oly 45, pana 45, pana 100-300.
    In my opinion, oly is allways thinking in style and make the things small. For pana is first quality and ergonomics.
    Now oly is changing and making more pro models and lenses.(omd with grip , 75mm , 60mm)

15. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    GX1 is my first camera.

I prefer Olympus aesthetics, generally, they're just so sexy (except that hideous OM-D hump). But I love my GX1. It looks so classy! ;)

Function-wise? Not sure but they said Pany cameras are "easier to use". But everything's workable anyway, right? lol.

But I kinda wish it had IBIS though, especially now that I have an Olympus lens. And it made me rethink my desire for the Oly 75mm.

As for JPEGs.... Pany's are workable but I have no experience with Oly cameras. Maybe I should have gone Oly since I shoot JPEG only? lol. But I'm satisfied with how OOC JPEGs look on my GX1, anyway.

Long story short... whether I went Oly or Pany, there will always be things that will make me think over if I should have gone to the other brand. The only remedy to this is to buy both. LOL.

16. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    I just hope they stay a bit different. That way more people can find "the better one" for their needs ;-)