1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oly Accessories

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bill Gordon, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

When I first bought into the Olympus 4/3rds system (E-1) they supported all the lenses with Hoods that fitted on the lens to store and to use and soft cases for the lenses. I now have the 17mm +14-42mm=+9-18mm+14-150mm and none of them come with hoods or soft cases. I think that they have slipped in there capacity of being a front line manufacturer when you see Panny lenses with cases. I am putting this memo in print to remind us all of what we used to expect with Olympus brand and if they expect the 4/3rds concept to flourish they should start return to the beginning and provide these accessories with the camera and lens range. Some would say it would cost more....so......why not increase at the beginning the cost with all included and then I would not rant about their lack of Quality! I remember the good old days of film when you bought a camera with a gorgeous leather case and strap.......Those days I guess are gone forever.

• Like Like x 1
  2. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Couldn't agree more Bill. I like to keep my lenses in cases, and they should be supplied.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    maybe the logic is that most people might just toss the case since the lens is going into a bag with other lenses and acccessories. as long as the the lens and mount are protected with caps, is the case necessary?

4. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

yes, the case, even soft case, protects the lens body against another lens body in a Camera case.

• Like Like x 1
  5. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I agree but unfortunately this seems to be the trend these days with lens manufacturers. The exception is Sigma who include cases and hoods with all their lenses as far as I know (at least all 3 of my Sigmas for my Canon DSLR came with them,) and the cases aren't cheap either -- they are zippered and made of thick nylon type material and have fitted foam inserts inside.

If you buy Canon L lenses (the L lenses are their top line pro models,) you will get drawstring pouch and hood but the "consumer" grade lenses come with nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    The Sigma cases are very nice. Mine resides in the box in the closet. Not necessary for me. If I carried lenses "loose" in a bag I guess I'd want more protection, but all of my bags allow space to be configured for each lens.

7. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Same here. It's nice to have the Sigma cases but I never use them...

8. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Part of my reasoning for moving to m43 from a rather large Canon system was portability. With m43 I can carry just about everything I'll need in the side pockets of my pants. This leaves my hands free so I can climb rocks, walls, and go down holes in the ground. Delicate objects in my pockets need protection.